Shaved Brussels & Shiitake Bacon Fettuccine with Cashew Cream
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
I rarely share what I eat on a day to day basis. As a nutritionist though, I’m sure people are curious as to what you reach for, what are your “go to’s”.
In all honesty, all my recipes are developed through what I’m craving, what’s in season, and what I have in my fridge lol. I typically have a fridge full of produce, but I like to use fresh produce with everything. That means regular trips to the market as I use everything within 24 to 48 hours.
I’ve been craving brussels lately (of course as the seasons are shifting and brussels concepts are slowly being weeded out lol). Outside of consuming brussels sprouts in their traditional form, I love to shave them and throw them in salads or dishes. They add texture, flavor, and make a dish much more filling!
What I love about this pasta dish is all the flavors! The shiitake bacon adds the savory component, the toasted pine nuts more texture, the brussels more fiber and texture, and the effortless cashew cream sauce that can be used in a myriad of dishes an element of cheesy amazingness! If you’re looking to curb your carbs you can absolutely sub the pasta for zucchini noodles!
While this dish may seem involved or time consuming, I always have shiitake bacon on hand, which reduces the cook time, and you’re guaranteed to find cashews, pine nuts and vegan parm in my fridge any day of the week!
If you’re looking for an effortless dish that packs flavor, nutrients, and doesn’t disappoint.. You have to try my recipe for vegan Shaved Brussels Pasta with Shiitake Bacon!
Don’t believe how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Why this dish rocks:
Tons of flavor
Toasted Pine Nuts
Can be paired with zucchini noodles
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 2 to 4 servings
30 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 cups cooked fehttuchini pasta
- 1/2 cup pine toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup vegan Follow Your Heart parm cheese
- 2 cups shaved brussels
- Garnish: vegan parm, parsley, red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbs capers
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup or more of almond milk
- 1 package of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- cracked black pepper
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 to 40 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can).
- Thinly shred brussels sprouts with a mandolin or by hand. Add pine nuts to a pan over medium heat. Toast for a few minutes. Add a drizzle of olive oil and white wine (optional) to the pan and add the shredded brussels. Cook for a few minutes until wilted. Toss in the cooked pasta, coat in the cashew cheese sauce. Top with shiitake bacon, vegan parm, red pepper and parsley. Serve warm!