Vegan Spaghetti Squash with Kale & Shiitake Bacon
Hello & Happy Monday!
If you had told me as a teenager that I would be sharing my affinity for spaghetti squash one day..
I would have told you that’s just plain cray lol..
For as long as I can remember even the appearance of squash made me shudder. When you’re a young adult and you’re accustomed to eating foods that are let’s just say “not healthy”
Trying foods like spaghettis will haunt us for years . (true story)
What’s wonderful about making spaghetti squash is that its so versatile, you can take the flavor in whatever direction your heart desires and the process is so easy its mind blowing.
Affordable, flavorful, fun, effortless..
You can’t lose.
If you’re looking to break into the world of spaghetti squash, this recipe is for you!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for non vegans
Can be made in bulk
20 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 3-4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded kale (massaged to loosen fibers)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- Squash: Preheat oven to 375F. Slice squash in half and coat with olive oil and 1/2 tsp sea salt.
- Bake spaghetti squash for 60 minutes, or until a paring knife pierces easily through skin with little resistance. Let squash cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, use a fork to remove and discard the seeds. Continue using fork to scrape the squash to achieve the long strands. If the squash seem difficult to scrape, return the squash to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan with the butter, vegan magic, and garlic over medium-low heat. Add the When garlic becomes fragrant, add the shiitake mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes, then add the massaged kale and cook for an additional 2 minutes, then finally add the thyme, sea salt and spaghetti squash strands. Toss well, top with shiitake bacon pumpkin seeds, and sprinkle in the vegan parmesan cheese. The spaghetti squash should have a slight crunch and not have a soggy texture.