Spicy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
Hello & Happy Monday!!
Hello 2017, goodbye 2016!! I think I’m not alone when I say.. that this has been a hectic/eventful year!
However, with a new puppy, a wedding in 6 months, and planning for babe, I think 2017 is going to be one of the most memorable!
While I could share a lighter food concept post holidays, I felt that this recipe for vegan Spicy Sun Dried Tomato pasta was the perfect recipe to share as it’s my latest obsession!
Let me start by saying, I’m not a huge pasta person. I rarely ever crave it and find that you really have to pack it with nutrients to be worth your time, but it’s a challenge I actually enjoy!
What I love about this dish is, everything. The sauce is comprised of cashews giving it a cheesy flavor profile, chilis in adobo sauce add a hint of smoke and fire, sun dried tomatoes a rich tomato flavor, shiitake bacon adds an additional texture, and the kale more nutrients. It’s easy, affordable cheesy, can be made in bulk, and is hands down my top favorite pasta dish I’ve developed.
there is something about cashews that make the perfect pasta sauce versus cauliflower, avocados, and anything else I’ve experienced.
If you’re looking for that perfect pasta dish that offers nutrients, flavor, spice, and doesn’t disappoint..
You need to try my recipe for Spicy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Serves 4 bowls
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (½ cup)
- 4 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 cup vegetabel broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 28-oz. cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 4 bowls of cooked pasta
- 2 chilis in adobo sauce (chopped)
- 1tbs adobo sauce
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups shredded kale
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil and Follow Your Heart vegan parm toast, for garnish
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; cook 7-10 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add the tomato paste and cook until it begins to caramelize. Sprinkle the flour in while continuously stirring and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, broth, sun dried tomatoes, basil, red pepper, and bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Allow the flavors to combine by simmering for 25-30 minutes.
- Soak cashews in hot water for 5 minutes, drain water, set aside. Purée sauce in blender or food processor until smooth. Add the pre-soaked cashews and nutritional yeast, puree again, and put back into saucepan; return to simmer. Remove from heat, and stir in almond milk. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Toss the angel hair in the sauce and shredded kale, and top with sun dried tomatoes, and shiitake bacon. Garnish with basil.