Vegan Sushi Rice Stacks
Hello & Happy Friday!!
With the weather warming up I’m trying to explore any salad variation. Even the word salad sounds mundane, arduous and just not a lot of fun.
Truth is salads can be flavorful, still nutrient dense, and not loaded with hidden dressing calories.
While this salad require some pre-prepping so that the sushi rice is on hand, and also some skills to stack the ingredients, ..it well worth the prepping and labor!
What I love most about this concept is the stacking! Whether you’re entertaining guests and want to wow them, or simply have an affinity for gorgeous salads, stacking is a great option to add aesthetic appeal!
Secondly, the dragonfruit! It adds brightness, a lightness, and takes this salad next level without altering any flavor profile as dragonfruit is neutral!
If you love a fun salad concept or need to liven up your everyday salad routine..
You need to try my recipe for a Sushi Rice Stack!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Rice can be made in advance in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 12 pieces
30 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 Cups Cooked Sushi Rice (prepared according to package instructions)
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Avocados - peeled and chopped
- 1 Cup Cucumber - peeled & chopped
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Sesame Seeds
- 2-4 Individual Size Sea Weed Sheets - torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 Cup Follow Your Heart Veganaise
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup defrosted Pitaya Plus Pink Dragonfruit
- Mix rice vinegar, sugar and salt together and pour over cooked rice. Now add the defrosted dragonfruit. Gently toss to coat.
- Prepare a large can, measuring cup, or glass container to help mold the shape. Place container upright on flat plate and hold firmly in place while layering ingredients. (using a can with the top and bottom removed makes it easier, but I'm not crazy about cans)
- Sushi rice Stack
- Press 1/2 cup cooked rice in the bottom of the container or can. Follow with 1/2 cup cucumber,1/2 cup avocado, top with 1/2 teaspoon chopped lemon. Use the back of a spoon to firmly press ingredients down. (this will ensure that the sushi stack stays together). Gently shake to remove contents.
- Top with 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and serve on top of1 sheet of sea weed.
- Spicy mayo: Mix mayo, Sriracha and soy sauce until incorporated.
- Serve sushi stacks with spicy mayo and or soy sauce and top with scallions