Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
Since finding my way around the kitchen I’ve evolved to become a soup person. I find that typically it’s an obstacle course navigating soup options when dining out as the vegan options are not vast. Either they have meat, cream, chicken broth in them and the list goes on. That’s on top of the fact that soups are always packed to the max with sodium.
That being said, I love to make my own soups as they are so easy to throw together and can be packed with whatever you like. This Tomato Basil Soup, is still my personal favorite after creating over a year ago!
If there is one soup though that I’ve always been completely enamored with, it’s Tomato Basil. Sounds boring, far from exciting, but if done right, it’s the best soup on the block. Now I know this is going to sound very off-putting, but.. the reason I have grown to know and love this soup is because when growing up I would get this garden variety soup from.. La Madeleine.
Even just typing that makes me cringe/laugh, but the soup was amazing!
So good that in fact I never even tried to replicate it out of fear that it just wouldn’t even come close to their classic version, but I was wrong, completely wrong. This vegan version of my fave soup, is actually everything that soup ever was to me and more.
What I love about this soup is, everything. It’s a handful of accessible and affordable ingredients, nutrient dense, packs tons of flavor, less sodium, easy, cheesy, creamy, and contains not a drop of dairy!
If you’re looking for that classic tomato soup that can pair perf with a sammie or one that can just be eaten by the buckets.. (true story) You’ll love my plant based approach to the classic Tomato Basil Soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Hands down. My number 1 fave soup!
Yields 5-6 bowls
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (½ cup)
- 4 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 28-oz. cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 springs thyme
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup cashews
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil and Follow Your Heart vegan parm toast, for garnish
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; cook 7-10 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add the tomato paste and cook until it begins to caramelize. Sprinkle the flour in while continuously stirring and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, red pepper, bay leaf, thyme and broth, and bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Allow the flavors to combine by simmering for 25-30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Soak cashews in hot water for 5 minutes, drain water, set aside. Purée soup in blender or food processor until smooth. Add the cashews, puree again, and put back into saucepan; return to simmer. Remove from heat, and stir in almond milk. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with basil.