Tomatoes with Basil Cashew Cheese
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
I’ve never been a fan of Italian food, or chocolate lol (cue the millions of people who always say..”What’s wrong with you?!” lol)
Although I was never into meat, I loved a fancy cheese.. specifically tomatoes and mozzarella, “Caprese Salad” …preferably with wine lol.
Since those days, I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing an array of amazing cashew cheeses and even making homemade non vegan mozzarella (at NYU), which was interesting/completing repulsive lol. (it doesn’t look pretty or sanitary)
After exploring recipes with homemade cashew cheese I’ve pursued pasta sauce, veggie pasta sauce, nacho cheese, cheesey mustard dip (for pretzels, recipe coming soon!), but I’ve never tried a a vegan version of tomatoes and mozzarella !!
If you’re looking for a sans dairy version of this classic dish, you’ll love this fresher lighter version that’s not only beautiful, but packed with more nutrients!!
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2-4 fresh vine ripe tomatoes
- 10 oz soaked cashew
- 3-5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 garlic bulbs
- cracked black pepper
- squeeze of lemon
- 1 cup of spinach
- Soak cashews in water overnight or for 4-6hrs (or simply soak for 15 minutes in hot water)
- roast garlic coated in olive oil and salt in oven on 350 for 10-15 minutes
- In a food processor blend spinach, add yeast, lemon, minced basil, and garlic, once combined add the strained cashews. Add excess water as needed to achieve desired consistency
- Slice tomatoes and create layers with the tomato, add additional basil if desired (I love basil)
- Serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
For more flavor serve with a basalmic reduction