Vegan Tortilla Soup with Chipotle Cashew Cream
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
Believe it or not, I was never a huge soup person. Soups are ubiquitous for animal products whether it be broth or heavy cream and are laden with unnecessary excess salt. That being said, for a long time I never enjoyed soup while dining out. Once I started to delve into cooking years ago I discovered my appreciation and love for all things soup!
From a distance soups sound involved and tedious, but they are one of the easiest concepts to throw together. Believe it or not, its the perfect medium to get a lot of veggies in one meal as everything takes on the same favor profile and you can’t even detect that it’s in there. (great for kids lol)
One of my personal favorite soups is tortilla! I love anything with Mexican components such as beans, corn, avocado, and cilantro, so in many ways it’s like me in a bowl lol. This was one of the first concepts I created back in 2014, but I wanted to revisit this dish and put a modern spin on it, and the new vegan Tortilla Soup was born!
What’s fab about this soup, is seriously everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, features accessible ingredients, can be made in minutes, made in bulk, has a cheesy flavor from the cashews, a bit of heat from the chipotles, and notes of smoke with the liquid smoke and chipotles! It’s filling and just even writing about this soup gets me excited!
If you love tortilla soup or just staple recipes that you can love for years to come, this is it! You have to try my vegan Tortilla Soup!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Creamy and cheesy from the soaked cashews
Perf for fall
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4-6 bowls
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 cup soaked cashews (overnight)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt/pepper as desired
- Toppings: vegan sour cream, avocado, vegan cheese, cilantro, tortilla chips etc
- Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil. While that oil is heating, give a quick dice to the yellow onion. Saute, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. (While the onion is cooking, open and prepare cans.
- Add in the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds. Pour in the enchilada sauce, the undrained fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed black beans, drained corn, liquid smoke, and vegetable broth (save 1 1/2 cups). Stir to combine.
- In a blender or food processor combine the soaked cashews, 1 1/2 cups broth, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Blend until smooth and add back into the pot with the remaining ingredients.
- Increase the heat to high. While it's heating through to a boil, add in the cumin, salt/pepper, and chili powder. Stir again.
- Serve with your favorite toppings such as vegan sour cream, avocado, fresh lime juice, tortilla strips, fresh chopped cilantro, etc