Vegan Arugula Pesto Mashed Potatoes
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Lately I’ve been exploring new approaches to classic dishes. I find that we can still enjoy the staples such as mac and cheese or mashed potatoes, by putting a fun veggie spin on them! Recently I did a vegan Caramelized Onion Cauliflower Mash that I loved, so this vegan Pesto Mash was created simultaneously.
Carbs have gotten a bad wrap over the years due to the boom of the Atkins diet in the early 2000’s. However, potatoes pack many nutrients, even more potassium than a banana, which leads to my overall thoughts on the diet..
Moderation and balance is everything!
If you love cauliflower as much as I do, you can easily substitute potatoes for cauliflower and achieve the same results! Don’t have a fondness for arugula?! You can easily substitute with spinach!
What’s fab about this dish, is everything! It’s quick, easy, features staple ingredients, packs arugula, packs flavor, offers a gorgeous color, can easily be made in bulk, perfect for any season, you can sub spinach for arugula to mix it up, pairs with countless dishes, and is just a fun spin on a classic dish!
If you love all things pesto or are searching for fun modern vegan side dishes, you’re going to love these vegan Arugula Pesto Mashed Potatoes!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for any season
Can pair with countless dishes
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Parm (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pine nuts, optional
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parm
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water and then bring to a boil.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and then place them into a large bowl. Mash the potatoes and add in the almond milk and vegan butter.
- Mash to desired consistency and add more milk if needed.
- Stir in the basil pesto and season with salt and pepper. Add more pesto if desired.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts and fresh basil, if desired.