Vegan Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog
Hello & Happy Wedneday!!
Since its mid week, I thought I would living up your day by sharing a recent vegantastic concoction.
Let me first start by saying I’m to a huge advocate of any “food products“, even if they are vegan, organic, non gmo etc. The bulk of your intake should come from fresh whole foods.
Sometimes though, I think we all need an opportunity to get creative with our food.
Perhaps by recreating vegan versions of the classic staples you see Instagram inundated with.. just to solidify the fact that by simply removing animal products doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice flavor, creativity, or and most importantly fun!
The idea of a hot dog came to me not because I miss the classic hot dog, in fact I never even really liked pork or red meat lol, but rather it came from a famous hot dog spot in the NYC. Crif Dog.
If you’re looking to impress your non vegan peoples at a BBQ or simply want to introduce non vegan options into your home..
These Spicy Bacon Wrapped Sausage Dogs are the perfect idea!
- - 2 Field Roast Spicy Hot Dogs or vegan dog of your choice!
- - 1 cup sauerkraut
- - 2 tbsp siracha
- - 1 jalapeno
- - 2 slices of faux bacon
- - 2 hot dog buns
- - 1/2 white onion
- - ketchup and mustard as desired
- In a pan over med/high heat cook the sausages in olive oil for 5 minutes until you get a good sear on them.
- While cooking dice the white onion and jalapeño pepper.
- Toast the buns in the oven on 350 for 3-5 minutes
- Add the fake bacon and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute. Wrap the bacon around the sausage and hold in place with toothpicks. Place back in the pan and cook for another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and place on buns. Top with sauerkraut, onion, mustard, siracha, and jalapeño
- For less heat use non spicy sausages
- Add avocado to lower the effect of the spice
- Add banana peppers for more diversity in toppings