Vegan BBQ “Chicken” Pizza
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
Long before my vegan days, I loved..
Bbq “Chicken” Pizza! (truth)
Not because of the chicken, but because of the bbq sauce.
My fave blend is sweet, spicy and most importantly.. smokey!!
This vegan Bbq “Chicken” Pizza was inspired by my recent Smokey Bbq sauce recipe. And when you have an abundance of homemade bbq sauce the first thing that came to mind is..
Bbq “Chicken” Pizza!!
Although I’ve made a few vegan pizzas via EDS and explored options at veg spots in the NYC, I’ve sadly yet to come across this classic pizza anywhere!!
If like me you’ve been disappointed by vegan pizza options time and time again, you have to try this Bbq “Chicken” Pizza recipe.
(I could eat this one pizza all day every day and be content)
Why this recipe rocks:
Easy once you make the bbq sauce
Flavor profile is perfection
Vegan cheese is pricey, but everything else is cheap!
Great for entertaining
Packs tons of flavor!
(truth: I think this is my favorite pizza thus far)
Yields 6-8 slices
1 hrPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour or bread flour
- 1-2 bags vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 package Gardein Scaloppini chicken
- Red pepper flakes as desired
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped finely
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 16 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Siracha
- 3 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 tbsp vegan worcesterchire
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- Bbq Sauce: In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in oil on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add in the rest of the ingredients to the pan, whisk to combine, and cook for about 30 minutes uncovered over low heat. Stir occasionally and make sure it doesn't burn.
- For more tangyness add additional apple cider vinegar, for more sweetness add more brown sugar. Remove from heat and let cool.You can place in a food processor, but it isn't needed.
- Crust: Preheat oven on lowest temperature. To make the crust, add yeast and sugar to warm water and allow to proof for 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to lowest setting, after preheating is done, turn it off.
- While the yeast is proofing, combine the salt, and flour in the bowl. Once yeast is bubbling, combine with the flour mixture and then add the olive oil. Start to mix the dough by hand and then start to knead it on a floured surface.
- The dough should be soft but not sticky; add more flour if necessary. Remove the dough from the bowl and form it into a nice ball. Pour a little more olive oil into the bottom of the bowl and put the dough back in the bowl, turning it once to coat with olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, set it in the preheated oven, and allow to rise for for at least 45 minutes to an hour. (oven should be turned off)
- While the bread is proofing, throw the Gardein strips in a medium size pan with some olive oil. Cook on high for 3 minutes to get a good crust on them, then top with bbq sauce.
- When the dough has risen, punch it down, remove it from the bowl, and place it on a clean, well-floured counter. To make the dough more manageable, divide the dough into 2 equal portions so that you can achieve the right size. Roll each portion out to a thickness of 1/8-1/4?.
- Roll out the dough onto a greased pizza pan, coat the edges with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes minutes before golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and finish baking with the toppings. Coat the crust with bbq sauce, Gardein chicken, red onion and vegan cheese. Bake on 350 for another 10. Remove from heat once golden brown and top with cilantro.