Vegan Beet Naan Bread
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I feel as though it was back in 2007 while living in Miami that I discovered naan bread. There was something about it that I was just drawn to. The look, the texture, the various flavors you could find, I was sold.
However, when it comes to baking breads ..I’m not crazy about it. (truth) It can be involed, time consuming, messy, and the bread may not even rise due to a bad batch of yeast. At the end of the day though, homemade bread is one of the best things in the entire world!
Before you become overwhelmed with the woes of bread making lol, when it comes to making naan bread, it’s actually much easier then others! You simply combine the ingredients, allow to rise, and then throw on a skillet, and poof you have naan bread. With other breads or even cinnamon rolls you have to let them rise twice, in addition to cutting them and just making an entire mess of your kitchen. (another truth)
What’s fab about this naan bread, is everything! It’s your classic naan bread recipe, with some added beet powder for a vibrant healthy twist. It’s comprised of minimal ingredients, easy, faster than typical breads, perf for any season, affordable, and pairs perfectly with any dish, but especially this effortless dill sauce!
If you’re looking to explore vegan naan bread or have an affinity for all things beets, you have to try my recipe for effortless vegan Beet Naan Bread!
Why this recipe rocks:
Faster than typical breads
Packed with beets
Perf for any season
Dill sauce pairs perfectly
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-10 pieces depending on size
1 hr, 30 Prep Time
10 minCook Time
1 hr, 40 Total Time
- 1 cup warm water
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1¾ tsp active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting, I added about 1/2 cup
- 1/3 cup Beet Powder (you can used any kind)
- 2½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp coconut oil, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp vegan plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegan plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Whisk together the warm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Set aside until foamy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, beet powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the coconut oil, vegan yogurt or sour cream, and the wet yeast mixture and mix together by hand or with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Add flour as needed if the dough is too wet.
- Turn off the oven. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in the oven until nearly doubled in volume, about 1½ hours.
- Punch down the dough, and turn it out onto a floured work surface and knead it again for a few minutes. Cut the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. With a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a 8-by-4 inch oval, dusting with flour as needed.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Place one piece of dough in the pan, bread should brown nicely on the bottom but not be burning. The top should start to bubble and puff up slightly. Cook for about a minute or two on each side until both sides of the bread are browned. They should have well-browned spots in areas but should still be pliable.
- Dill Sauce: combine all of the ingredients together and serve with bread. If you love fresh herbs you can top with chopped fresh parsley.
- If you're preparing other items keep the naan bread warm in the oven on 250.