Vegan Blackberry Jalapeno Cornbread
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
Just when I think the weather is turning around, it starts snowing! In the past 10 years of being in NYC and a little in DC, I’ve never seen it snow so much as it has this winter! At nearly 4 1/2 months pregnant, I’m so ready for the warm weather and that sun kissed glow.
Needless to say, it’s freezing, so we’re bringing the heat today with this recipe for vegan Blackberry Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins!!
Believe it or not, while this sounds like a pregnancy craving, I was craving this concept long before our son was connived lol. My approach to recipes is to combine savory and sweet as it can completely change a recipe. Taking a recipe next level is combine sweet with a little heat..
and that’s why I love this concept so much!!
I find that like other various fruits and veggies, blackberries are overlooked time and time again. They are sweet, but also a little tart, but add a gorgeous color to anything. That being said, I knew they were the perfect addition to these corn muffins. If you’re not big into anything corn (myself included,) I’m telling you, a hot corn muffin with vegan butter is game changing! lol
What’s fab about these muffins, is everything! They are quick, easy, pack real corn, half the sugar as other recipes, a dense buttery soft texture, aesthetic appeal, a sweet flavor profile from the corn and fruit, and notes of heat to tie it all in together. They are additionally great for entertaining and perf for a side dish to complement chili and much more!!
If you love all things cornbread or anything with a little heat, you’re going to love these new vegan Blackberry Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed with half the sugar
Packed with real corn
Packed with fresh berries
Sweet with a little heat
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-8 depending on size
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and lightly grease the liners with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, oil, and vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the corn, blackberries, and jalapeños (saving 1/2 a jalapeño to cover the tops with)
- Fill the prepared muffin pan with the batter, filling each muffin cup about two-thirds of the way full. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and serve warm.