Fried Spicy Vegan Chicken & Rosemary Waffles
Hello & Happy Monday!!
You know those recipes that you continuously dream about and always tell yourself, ok, next time I have to make that and then every chance you get you just completely forget.
Vegan Fried Chicken always did that to me
I personally had never had vegan fried chicken at any vegan spot, even in the NYC. For whatever reason I find that its not a common dish. While fried “chicken” finger types dishes are frequent on menus, they don’t have the same crispy texture, and they are not served with waffles!!
What I love most about this recipe is not only the aesthetics, but the flavors that blend seamlessly together. It’s sweet, savory, spicy, crispy, and all rolled into one..
What’s even more fab about this dish? So cheap, so easy, and guaranteed to please your non vegan peeps!
If you love waffles, rosemary, truffle oil, fried chicken, then you have to try my recipe for Vegan Fried Chicken!
Your tastebuds will thank me later!
Why this recipe rocks:
Kid friendly (minus the hot sauce and rosemary)
Great for brunch
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 block firm tofu
- 3 to 6 tbs Follow Your Heart vegan egg, mixed w/ almond milk (I used about 3/4 cup almond milk, you just want the consistency to be thick like an egg)
- 1 cup Hot Sauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp minced rosemary (as desired)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp truffle oil
- Heat a large pot of oil on the stove. Cut the tofu block into steak 1/4-1/3 inch wide slices (cut along the long side of the block). Press pepper towels into the slices to drain the excess water and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the vegan egg powder, almond milk and hot sauce into a small/medium sized bowl. (should be thick)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper into a shallow baking dish. Set a cooling rack aside topped with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Dip the tofu slices into the hot sauce egg mixture, then into flour mixture, coating the entire slice. Fry the tofu slices one at a time for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy
- Preheat your waffle iron. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, minced rosemary, and coconut sugar. Add the almond milk and whisk to combine. Let the batter sit for a couple of minutes while it rises. Spoon batter into your waffle iron and cook according to your waffle iron's instructions. Combine maple syrup with truffle oil.
- Throw together with the vegan fried chicken and serve with truffle maple syrup!