Vegan Cinnamon Apple Upside Down Cake
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I can’t believe Christmas is Sunday! Time flies, which is why I always start celebrating the holidays early with recipes. This year I created upwards of 20 holiday concepts and out of all of them..
This one is perhaps the easiest!
I’ve always heard of and seen upside down cake, but I never explored it. The fruit designs always looked gorgeous and it just appeared to be tedious and not my cup of tea. However, it’s so simple and you can use whatever flavor or spices you like.
I’ll be honest, I tried to create an almond flour version as I’m trying to offer alternative flours. I made the effort, but it just didn’t work. However, even after studying nutrition for 6 years I still consider myself to be a true foodie. If something doesn’t work in a recipe, aka, gf cookies that are just dry as paper, I can’t be all about it and I won’t stand behind it.
At the end of the day, I’d rather have something that works and mirrors traditional varieties, versus a poor sad version of the real deal that’s just holding onto being “low calorie” or healthier.
What’s fab about this recipe is that it involves no butter or white flour, coconut sugar, minimal sugar altogether, is buttery soft, the recipe can be paired with whatever fruit you’re craving or whatever is in season, has aesthetic appeal even if the fruit doesn’t come out perfect, and its perf for any season!
If you’re searching for a classic dessert for any time of the year, you have to try my recipe for a whole wheat vegan Cinnamon Apple Upside Down Cake!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perfect for any season
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-10 slices
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 Follow Your Heart Vegan Eggs combined with 1/3 cup vegan eggnog or almond milk
- 2tbs coconut oil plus 1/4 cup coconut oil, divided
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar, plus 1/2 cup, divided
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tsp nutmeg, divided
- 1 tsp clove, divided
- 2 medium apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup eggnog or almond milk
- Top with vanilla ice cream (optional)
- preheat oven to 35o degrees. Melt coconut oil, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2tsp clove. and 2 tbsp sugar. Spread mixture at the bottom of the springform pan. Place sliced apples on top. Cream together the coconut oil and remaining coconut sugar. Add the vegan eggs.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and the remaining cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and add to the creamed mixture a little at a time. Drizzle in the vegan eggnog or almond milk to create a smooth texture.
- Spread evenly over apples. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes until you invert it upside down. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
If you're not using eggnog, I'd recommend adding vanilla during the wet ingredients To create more moisture and reduce sugar, you can add 1/2 cup applesauce to the wet ingredients!