Vegan Crab Cakes
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I never had an affinity for chicken, red meat, pork, etc, but I loved seafood! If you’ve been in the plant based world for a minute I’m sure you quickly realized that it can be hard to replicate fish. There are some faux products on the market that are reminiscent of fish, but I prefer to make everything I can from scratch.
Luckily, chickpeas take on a natural “fishy” type flavor and the make for the perfect faux tuna salad. With that in mind I decided to explore a vegan crab cake concept. I’ve seen a few here and there. Either they were completely deep fried, which I try to avoid or they seemed too dry..
Until the Eat Drink Shrink Crab Cake was born in 2016!
What I love about this recipe is, everything! It packs the same texture and flavor as that of a real crab cake, has the same aesthetic appeal, more nutrient dense, filling, not deep fried, crispy, the sauce can be paired with other recipes, it’s affordable, can be thrown on some buns to create a burger, is perf for bite size patties while entertaining, non vegan approved, and is hands down one of my new recipe obsessions!
If you long for crab cakes, skip the store bought vegan option and opt for these homemade Crab Cakes! You won’t regret it!
Why this recipe rocks:
Doesn’t fall apart
Mirrors the texture of real crab
Great aesthetic appeal
Non vegan approved
Sauce can be used for other dishes
Can easily be made in bulk
Yields 3 to 4 large cakes
30 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 8oz jar artichokes in water, drained, chopped
- 3/4 can chickpeas (rinsed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3/4 cup panko
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg combined with 1/2 cup almond milk or water
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart vegenaise
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup dijon
- 2 tbsp capers
- 6 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp lemon
- 1 tbsp relish
- Chop the artichokes, dice the shallot, chop the celery. In a large mixing bowl combine all of the crab cake ingredients. Form patties. Coat the outside with additional Panko (optional, but makes for a crispy outer layer). Cook in a pan with a drizzle of oil for 7 minutes on med/high heat flipping midway through and rotating for an even cook.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and place onto a plate covered with paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve immediately with remoulade sauce.
- Sauce: In a small mixing bowl stir together all the ingredients until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve the crab cakes. Garnish with dill and chopped radish, optional.