Vegan Crab Cakes
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
I never had an affinity for chicken, red meat, pork, etc, but I loved seafood! If you’ve been in the plant based world for a minute I’m sure you quickly realized that it can be hard to replicate fish. There are some faux products that are reminiscent of fish, but I prefer to make everything I can from scratch.
Luckily, chickpeas take on a natural “fishy” type flavor and the make for the perfect faux tuna salad. With that in mind I decided to explore a vegan crab cake concept. I’ve seen a few here and there. Either they were completely deep fried, which I try to avoid or they seemed too dry.
Having said that, I want to combine the fishy flavor of chickpeas with the more crab like texture of artichokes to create a faux crab cake that mimics the real deal.
All I can say is, wow, so close to the real deal it’s mind blowing.
While this recipe does call for vegan egg, which can be an obstacle to source for some, I find that the vegan egg really improves recipes 100 percent. I’m all about skipping vegan products, but I just can’t deny a product that works.
What I love about this recipe is that it packs the same texture and flavor as that of an authentic crab cake, has the same aesthetic appeal, is more nutrient dense, filling, not deep fried, crispy, the sauce can be paired with other recipes, it’s affordable, can be thrown on some buns to create a burger with the radicchio and pickled red onion, and is hands down one of my new recipe obsessions!
If you long for the crab cake days as a plant based enthusiasts..
Have no fear, because this recipe for vegan Crab Cakes with remoulade sauce will knock your socks off
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Not deep fried
Doesn’t fall apart
Mirrors the texture of real crab
Great aesthetic appeal
Non vegan approved
Sauce can be used for other dishes
Can easily be made in bulk
Yields 3 to 4 large cakes
30 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 mini jars marinated artichoke hearts
- 3/4 can chickpeas (rinsed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg combined with 1/2 cup almond milk or water
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart vegenaise
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1/2 squeeze lemon
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup dijon
- 2 tbsp capers
- 6 tbsp fresh dill
- 1/2 squeeze lemon
- 1 tbsp relish
- Chop the artichokes, dice the shallot, chop the celery. In a large mixing bowl combine all of the crab cake ingredients. Form patties. Coat the outside with additional Panko. Cook in a pan for 7 minutes on med/high heat flipping midway through and rotating for an even cook.
- Remove the cakes from the frying pan and place onto a plate covered with paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve immediately with remoulade sauce.
- Sauce: In a small mixing bowl stir together all the ingredients for the tartar sauce until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve the crab cakes.