Vegan Crispy Tofu with Asian Pear Salad
Hello & Happy Monday!!
If you know me, you know I’m all about the cabbage salads! However, I like to mix it up and there are countless effortless salads you can whip up without even breaking a sweat.
One of those, is this fab vegan Crispy Tofu Salad with Asian Pear Salad!!
Pears are one of those fruits that typically get overlooked. However they are like a mild apple with a hint of sweet that add diversity to savory dishes and if it’s an Asian Pear, it adds texture!!
So what’s the difference in a traditional pear?!
The color is going to be a light shade of brown, the outer texture a bit more crisp, the flavor the same, and the added bonus, is that they take a long time to spoil unlike the traditional varieties. I’m talking, weeks!! So what separates plain ol’ tofu from crispy tofu?! It’s a little 2 ingredient coating and it provides that outer edge that makes a world of a difference. If you’re one of those not fond of tofu, you’ll love this kind!
What’s fab about this dish, is everything! It’s quick and easy, affordable, can easily be made in bulk, features crispy tofu, fresh cucumber and celery that pack tons of water, crispy Asian pear which adds a crispness and hint of sweet, and toasted cashews to tie everything in together. Not only is it nutrient packed, it’s so effortless, perf for any season, and will make you look like an iron chef!!
If you love fresh modern vegan salads, you’re going to love this Crispy Tofu with Asian Pear Salad!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can easily be made in bulk
Perf for entertaining
Perf for any season
Yields 2 servings
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 14-ounce pkg. firm tofu
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cucumber
- 4 scallions
- 1 Asian pear
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- Garnish: sesame seeds, optional
- Trim the ends from the celery; if desired, peel the stalks. Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Peel and slice the cucumber.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- Cut the Asian pear in half and remove the core; thinly slice the fruit.
- Halve tofu lengthwise, then slice crosswise into 8 slices. Gently press tofu between paper towels to absorb liquid.
- Stir cornstarch, baking soda, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Dredge tofu in cornstarch mixture, turning to coat and shaking off excess.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high. Working in 2 batches, cook tofu until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer on to paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Combine the salad ingredients with the tofu, garnish with optional sesame seeds, and top with a ginger dressing.