Vegan Curried Pumpkin Soup
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
While the pumpkin season is somewhat behind us, I won’t lie, I still crave pumpkin concepts! Some of my most favorite pumpkin recipes are actually not the sweet, but the savory.
Enter the classic Curried Pumpkin Soup!
For some reason, curry blends seamlessly with pumpkin and when paired with a savory component (the shiitake bacon), it just puts it over the top!
As a whole I’m not a huge soup person. They can sometimes not be filling or flavorful enough. However, my favorite thing about soups is that they are typically easy to make, affordable, involve minimal ingredients, and if it’s my soup, it packs tons of flavor with minimal sodium!
What I love about this curried pumpkin soup, is everything! It’s sweet from the apple, savory from the shiitake bacon, colorful, easy, is pumpkin flavored with strong notes of curry, has aesthetic appeal with the coconut drizzle, can be made in bulk for meal prep, and is one of my staple favorites!
If you’re not ready to let your pumpkin infatuation go just yet, you need to try my favorite vegan Curried Pumpkin Soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Notes of pumpkin and curry
can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium leek, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup peeled, chopped Golden Delicious apple
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash or sweet potatoes, (optional for a thicker texture)
- 3 1/2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup julienne-cut Golden Delicious apple
- 1 cup shiitakes (sliced)
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp worcestershire (vegan)
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Shiitake bacon: Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl combine the shiitakes with all of the ingredients. Spread the mushrooms on the pan and bake for 45 minutes until crispy.
- Heat vegan butter and oil in a large pot oven over medium until butter melts. Add leek and chopped apple; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in curry powder, cinnamon, nutmeg; cook 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced and slightly syrupy, stirring to scrape up browned bits. Add pumpkin and stock to pan and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 8 minutes or until apple is very tender.
- Place the pumpkin mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); Blend until smooth. Return soup to pan; stir in maple syrup, vinegar, salt, and pepper. If the soup is not thick enough blend a portion of the pumpkin soup with butternut squash or sweet potatoes. Divide soup among 4 bowls; top with coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, curry powder, shiitake bacon, and julienne-cut apples.