Vegan French Onion Soup
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
Out of the 100’s of recipes available on EDS today, this beauty from 2015 is STILL one I always crave, French Onion Soup! In life there are some things we organically have an affinity for. For me, even long before my plant based days..
I loved onions lol. Whether it was the flavor, the texture, or C all of the above. I love every variety.. but especially sweet and red!
When it comes to soup, I Ironically have a love hate relationship with it. I love soup, but I only love it when it’s homemade aka I make it. When dining out I’m always paranoid as to what’s in the soup and what the salt content is. If you’re not an avid cook, soups sound intricate and drawn out, but they are seriously one of the easiest concepts. They also are always affordable and can easily be made in bulk! (hello meal prep)
French Onion soup is one of those soups that never get’s old, is nostalgic, and is perf for any season! Typically this soup is made with beef broth and topped with traditional cheese. The beauty in that is you can easily make a vegan version by just switching up a few ingredients! What’s fab about this new 2.0 soup, is that it packs even more flavor!! Without the traditional beef broth, the flavor can be less impactful, but with the addition of a little vegan worcestershire, wine, and balsamic you get an effortless flavor boost!
What’s fab about this soup? Everything! It’s quick, easy, packed with onions, packed with flavor, affordable, low calorie, perf for any season, can easily be made in bulk, and is easily my favorite soup!!
If you love all things onions or love a good classic French Onion Soup, you have to try my new French Onion Soup 2.0!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Great for fall/winter weather
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 large bowls
25 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts veggie broth
- 1/2 square of No Beef Broth (optional)
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 4 Slices of Follow Your soft cheese
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Melt the vegan butter and olive oil in a large pot or pan over medium heat. Butter should sizzle and brown a bit.
- Add the half moon sliced onions (cut in half, then cut in half again), cook until the onions have softened 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, and sugar, and cook (covered) until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 35 minutes. Onions will brown and be very soft. Continue to stir sporadically to ensure that they don't burn.
- Add the flour and continue to stir the onions for 10 minutes. Add the broth and wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and season with thyme, bay leaves, vegan worcestershire and balsamic. Simmer and reduce by about 1 cup. Remove the bay leaf.
- When you're ready to serve, set the oven to broil, ladle the soup into bowls, top the soup with a baguette slice and vegan cheese and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
I've tried another variation that I feel packs more flavor: Add the thyme in the beginning and caramelize the onions. Then add the wine before the flour and cook for 10 minutes until the onions are dry, then do the flour and then the broth with bay leaves.
You can also use red wine instead of white if you prefer!