Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
While the buzz of kale caesars is dying down, there are many restaurants that have embraced the idea of keeping it as a constant dish on the menu. That being said, in your weekly cooking routine..
You have to have a staple classic Kale Caesar go to for you and when entertaining!
This recipe was created as I wrapped up my last year of grad school in may of 2016. It still gives me nightmares just thinking about deadlines, projects, making it to lecture on time etc. When college finally wrapped, it was truly the end to all of that (for the most part lol), but the beginning of something beautiful!
Over the years this salad has remained my go to and I could literally eat it every day of the year with no complaints. When I have countless recipes I can whip up, that’s a bold statement!
What’s fab about this kale caesar is, everything! The dressing is superb, there is multiple textures, it’s sweet and spicy with dressing and shiitake bacon, garlic tasting from the dressing to the croutons, filling, can all easily be made in bulk to use throughout the week, and is non vegan approved!
If you’re searching for that classic kale salad that won’t bore your tastebuds, my vegan Kale Caesar with shiitake bacon and garlic croutons is just for you!
Why this recipe rocks:
Has more going on than just greens and dressing
Dressing can be made in bulk and last thourhout the week
Non vegan approved
Yields 2 to 4
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked, drained)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tsps capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp white miso
- 4 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk (can use water)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup shallots (thinly sliced)
- 4 cups kale (removed from stems, shredded)
- 2 avocados
- ½ of a full sized baguette, cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup follow your heart vegan parm cheese
- 1 small package shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 2 tsp soy
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Shiitake bacon: Wash, thinly slice the mushrooms, keeping the stems, and soak in the ingredients for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. Place in oven on a baking sheet with aluminum foil on 250 for 30-40 minutes. Rotate midway. Should be slightly crisp, but not overly crisp. Set aside to cool.
- To make the croutons: Cut a baguette or loaf of bread into pieces, coat with olive oil and garlic and sprinkle with vegan parm. Spread over a baking tray. Bake on 400 for 15 minutes
- To make the dressing: Soak cashews in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain water, and combine all ingredients in a food processor. (I recommend the Vitamix for the smoothest texture) Blend until smooth and store in the fridge until needed.
- Assemble the salad: Wash kale, remove from the stems and slice thin. Place olive oil in your hands and massage the leaves for 2-3 minutes until soft. Dress the greens and throw in avocado, shiitakes, croutons, and vegan parm and serve!