Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
Today I just wrapped up the last grad lecture I’ll ever have. After 6 years of school it still hasn’t hit me that I get to finally join the real world lol.
What’s ironic is that even with studying nutrition, I found that there were days that I didn’t have that extra time to throw something together, leaving me depending on Seamless for healthy eats.
(another truth, I always saw people eating terrible processed foods in classes, was mind blowing as a nutrition major)
For those who work a busy schedule I’m sure this happens to you on the regular. While I love fresh healthy eats, I can absolutely get bored with things. Unless a salad has a lot going on, I get bored and crave something else.
Cue this amazing vegan Kale Caesar salad.
After decades of eating fresh produce, I’m actually not a huge kale person. Kale chips are good, but I prefer store bought (they taste better) and I prefer spinach in my smoothies versus kale as it doesn’t blend as well, however, I do love a good shaved brussels and kale salad..
but truthfully, I need to work on my kale game lol.
I loved the classic caesar salad dressing, and this vegan version actually packs a similar flavor profile and texture and pairs perf with shiitake bacon, avocado, and homemade croutons, ..it’s total a win win.
If you’re looking to get back in the kale game and rediscover your love for the amazing green..
You need to try this recipe for a Kale Caesar salad!
(I literally had it 5 days in a row and even typing about it makes me hungry lol)
Why this recipe rocks:
Has more going on than just greens and dresing
Dressing can be made in bulk and last thourhout the week
Non vegan approved
Yields 2 to 4
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 garlic clove
- 3 tsps capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp white miso
- 4 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk (can use water)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 avocados
- ½ of a full sized baguette, cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup follow your heart vegan parm cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitakes
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan Parmesan cheese
- Shiitake bacon: Wash, thinly slice the mushrooms, keeping the stems, and soak in the ingredients for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. Place in oven on a baking sheet with aluminum foil on 200 for 30 minutes. Rotate midway. Should be slightly crisp, but not overly crisp. Set aside to cool.
- To make the croutons: Cut a baguette into pieces, brush with olive oil and spread over a baking tray
- Grill under a medium heat until toasted on the top. Flip over and brush more olive oil on the other side, and sprinkle crushed garlic and vegan parm on top. Put back under the grill until browned and toasted
- To make the dressing: Soak cashews overnight or at least a few hours. Drain water, and combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth and store in the fridge until needed.
- Assemble the salad: Wash kale, remove from the stems and slice thin. Place olive oil in your hands and massage the leaves for 2-3 minutes until soft.Throw in the avocado, sliced onion, shiitakes, hemp seeds, and vegan cheese and salad dressing and serve!
You should have at least half a cup left for later use.