Vegan Lemon and Asparagus Pasta in a Cashew Cream Sauce
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Summer is still in full force and it’s all about the lighter and brighter dishes! While many think it’s time to put the pasta away, there are countless summer inspired pasta dishes that pair perfectly with the season.
One of them, …is this vegan Lemon Asparagus Pasta with cashew cream!!
I personally love asparagus as it’s great sauteed, grilled, or even blanched to retain it’s gorgeous color, you just can’t go wrong. I also love anything with lemon! Lemon adds another dimension of flavor, makes a dishes less overwhelming, and it even helps to reduce iron to a more absorbable form so that you can extract more from vegetables, which is a non heme iron and typically not as absorbable.
Needless to say, if it’s veggies, always add some lemon!
What’s fab about this dish, is everything! It’s quick, easy, requires a handful of staple ingredients, colorful with the lemon and asparagus, rich with flavor, rich with healthy fats and protein with the cashews, perf for spring/summer, can easily be made in bulk, perf for entertaining, and you can easily add whatever protein you like to this dish!!
If you’re craving that perf summer pasta or love all things lemon, you have to try this vegan Lemon Asparagus Pasta with cashew cream!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for spring/summer
Can easily be made in bulk
Rich lemon flavor
Rich cashew cream sauce
No animal products
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 servings
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 cups cooked linguini pasta
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 cup soaked cashews (overnight or boiled for 10 minutes)
- 2 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, finely chopped (garnish)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Cook asparagus until crispy, then season with pinch of salt. Transfer to a plate and set aside. If you'd rather reduce the oil content you can simply heat the skillet with a few cups of water covering the asparagus. Bring to boil, drop the asparagus in for 1 minute. seconds, then remove and place in an ice water bath. (blanching)
- In the same skillet heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Cook the shallots for 3 minutes, add garlic and cooke for 2.
- Remove and add to a high power blender with the soaked cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt/pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and toss and coat with the sauce. Add the sauteed or blanched asparagus. Garnish with parsley and lemons.