Vegan Meatball Sub
Hello & Happy Tuesday!
In all honesty, I can’t remember the last time I had a meatball sub. As a whole, this concept was just never my cup of tea. I never liked red meat and was never fond of pasta sauce, so needles to say it was the last on my list. However, once I had the chance to explore a vegan version I was instantly hooked.
It’s savory, sightly sweet from the red sauce, has texture from the toasted walnuts, a crispness with the kale, and it just doesn’t disappoint!
What’s perf about these meatballs is that they involve a handful of affordable and accessible ingredients, pack tons of nutrients, flavor, can be made in bulk, thrown on some pasta, a sandwich, or whatever your desire!
What’s also fab about this concept is that they can be made into mini sliders for the perfect entertaining vegan bite!
If you’re looking for that amazing vegan meatball sub replica that’s packed with nutrients & flavor.. You have to try this recipe for a classic vegan Meatball Sub!
Why this recipes rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Meatballs can be tossed on any dish youcrave
Can be made into bite size portions
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 large cloves garlic
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 can white beans
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 4 sub buns
- 2 cups kale
- 1 cup Panko
- ¾ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh basil (minced)
- 3/4 cup vegan Follow Your Heart Parmesan cheese
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp fresh minced basil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place walnuts and buns in the oven on lined/sprayed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat add minced garlic and a drizzle olive oil. Cook until translucent. Add the mushrooms, onions, italian seasoning, and continue to cooke for an additional 5-7 minutes. Rinse and drain beans. Lightly smash beans with your hands leaving the majority of it mashed with a few solid beans. In a large bowl combine the Panko, beans, walnuts, mushroom/onion mixture, red pepper, basil, and salt/pepper. Press the mixture into balls and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium/high heat add a drizzle of olive oil and cook each ball for 5-7 minutes making sure to rotate for an even cook. Once ready add two meatballs to a sub, top with red sauce, kale, basil, more vegan parm!