Vegan Orange Sesame Tofu Salad
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
If there is one season I love most, It’s spring/summer! Fruits are in abundance, aka as affordable as they’ll ever be, foods are lighter, brighter, more nutrient dense, and altogether less heavy.
Don’t get me wrong, I love fall eats, anything pumpkin, but I gravitate more towards warm weather eats!
While on the search for the perfect spring/summer salad, I wanted to create something that was effortless, but incorporated fun modern salad ingredients that stray from the standard salad.
I find that although I love salads, it’s easy to get bored with the typical combinations. I have to mix it up, keep my tastebuds guessing, and take new approaches each time.
What I love about this salad is, everything! I thoroughly enjoy peppery watercress lettuce as it has a an organic appeal to it, the bitterness of radicchio, and the sesame citrus marinade ties everything in together.
To make salads more filling I pair them with a variety of grains. While I have an innate ability to cook and create flavor profiles, if there is one thing I struggle with..
it’s Making rice! (gasps!)
For whatever reason, I just don’t feel like my rice always comes out up to par. It’s not cooked enough or overcooked and the list goes on. Needless to say I love a product that takes the struggle out of making the perfect batch of rice..
Which is why I instantly fell in love with Veetee brand rice!
Not only does it come in an array of flavor combinations, but it takes minutes to make and has the taste and texture of freshly made rice!
If you love salads with modern ingredients and ready made rice that packs tons of flavor and softness, you need to try my recipe for a vegan Orange Sesame Tofu Salad with Veetee Thai Lime & Herb Rice
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perfect for warm weather
Packs tons of texture and flavor
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 cups watercress
- 1 carrot (peeled)
- 1 cup yellow tomatoes
- 1 cup radicchio
- 1 avocado (cubed)
- 1 blood orange (sliced)
- 1/2 block tofu
- Garnish with black and white sesame seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 orange (squeezed, try not to get pulp in there!)
- 1/2 squeeze lime
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch combined with 2tbsp water
- 1/2 cup jicama (peeled, cubed)
- Top with a miso vinaigrette dressing!
- 1 package rice
- 1/2 squeeze lime
- 2 tbsp oil
- Wash and prep all of the ingredients, set aside.
- Sauce: Add sesame oil and garlic to a pan over medium heat, cook for 2 mins until translucent, add the remaining ingredients minus the corn starch, cook for 3 to five minutes until combined, slowly at in the corn starch and cook for an addition 3 until it begins to thicken. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Coat the tofu steaks with the marinade and add back into that same pan over medium heat. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove and top with black and white sesame seeds.
- Rice: Throw the rice into a pan with oil and a squeeze of lime, cook for a few minutes. Serve warm!
- Assemble: Throw all the salad ingredients in a bowl and top with a tofu. Drizzle with a