Vegan Philly Cheesesteak
Hello & Happy Monday!
I can’t even recall the last time I had a Philly cheesesteak, and I have never even seen a vegan philly cheesesteak at any establishment
but I love me some onions, peppers, and mushrooms!
So having a craving for an effortless vegan Philly Cheesesteak was a no brainer!
What I love about this recipe is that that its quick, easy, has minimal ingredients, packed to the max with veggies, and is so good it doesn’t even need vegan mayo or avocado, its good just with vegan cheese!
If you love the classic Philly Cheesesteak concept, but long for a lighter version that’s sans animal products, or faux meats..
You have to try my recipes for a vegan Tofu Philly Cheesesteak!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed with veggies!
Doesn’t even need avocado! (and I never say that)
Can be made into mini sliders for an appetizer!
Great for entertaining!
Non vegan approved!
Effortless Vegan Philly Cheesesteak
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 package extra firm tofu sliced in the rectangles (you should get 8 pieces, slice in half, then in sections)
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 6 oz. portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire
- 1 block vegan Follow Your Heart provolone (shredded)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 sub rolls, sliced in half (but not all the way through)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the two sliced sub rolls on aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and green peppers with liquid smoke, coconut oil, steak seasoning, red pepper, & vegan worcestershire for 7-10 minutes, then add in the mushrooms, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet increase the heat and throw in the the tofu rectangles, (add more live oil if needed) cook for minutes. 7-10, flip mid way to get a good sear. Add the onions and peppers back into the skillet and toss together (seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste).
- Prep the vegan cheese: Add the shredded cheese to a large pot with almond milk. Cook for 7-10 minutes, occasionally stirring until melted and fully combined.
- To assemble the vegan cheesesteaks: open one sub roll and add in half of the tofu veggie filling then top with half the provolone cheese. Repeat for the second sub roll. Tightly wrap each sub in aluminum foil then bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy hot!
Want more flavor? Cook the onions in a slow cooker for a few hours to caramelize them!