Vegan Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice
Hello & Happy Saturday!!
I rarely post on a Saturday, but following the long weekend I decided to embrace some self care yesterday and just take a breather for the first time in months. As a clinical nutritionist I think it’s just as important today to stress the diet as well as self care. If I’m not being kind to myself, it doesn’t matter what I’m eating, I feel worn down and just not myself.
So for the first time ever, I didn’t cook this week, caught up on other aspects of work and it.. felt amazing! Now back to one of may favorite recipes from last week!
In the past few weeks I’ve been back on the cauliflower train. When I feel like I’ve seen all that I can do with it, I find another dish that sweeps me off my feet. I’ll say it now and I’ll say it again, I feel as much as I love avocados (basic), cauliflower eclipses any other veggie as there is just so much you can do with it.
I was going to do a recipe remake for my standard cauliflower fried rice that I made years ago, but I got urge to put a spin in this classic dish. As a child I would have this thai fried rice with pineapple and the random craving just crept up on me and boom..
The vegan Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice was born!
What I love about this dish, is everything! It’s a handful of ingredients, quick, easy, affordable, has texture, it’s sweet and savory, packs tons of fiber, filling, you can throw in tofu, vegan egg, or whatever protein works for you, you can add ore veggies, enjoy it as a side or main dish, perf for any season, and non vegan approved!
If like me you’re looking for the next best cauliflower dish, this is it! You have to try this recipe for vegan Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packs tons of fiber
Non vegan approved
Yields 4 cups
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into rice
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted cashews
- 1/2 cup frozen peas & carrots, thawed and drained.
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tbs pineapple or lime juice combine with 2 tsp corn starch
- salt/pepper as desired
- Cilantro (optional)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with sesame oil over medium heat. Add diced onion. Cook and stir until slightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and pineapple continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and peas (if using frozen, make sure to remove the water), soy sauce, hoisin sauce and cook for an additional 2.
- Combine pineapple juice with corn starch, add to the mix. The sauce will thicken. Add the cauliflower and cook down for 3-4 minutes. Toss in the cashews and chopped scallions. I also threw in cilantro! Serve warm!
Try and get a good sear on the onions and pineapple for added flavor. For more of a flavor boost you could grill the pineapple