Vegan Potato & Cheddar Quiche
Hello & Happy Tuesday!
Before my plant based days, I rarely had quiche, well let me rephrase that..
I’ve had quiche once or twice in my entire life, but it never was something I craved.
Until I tried a vegan version!
From a distance even the word “quiche” sounds involved, complicated, and just not my cup of tea. However, a vegan quiche is one of the easiest recipes to make and is like a blank canvas in that you can incorporate whatever spices or veggies you desire.
What I love about this particular quiche compared to the others that I’ve produced (spinach and mushroom & Spanish), is that it’s packed with potatoes adding texture and making the overall dish more filling, has shiitake bacon to add a savory component, and is packed with vegan these and a lil jalapeño to add an element of spice!
If you love classic staple dishes that are good all year round..
You have to try my recipe for a vegan Potato and Cheddar Quiche!
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for every season
Non vegan approved
Add avocado slices to seal the deal!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8 slices
1 hrPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (solid)
- 2 to 2 1/2 Tbsp of water
- One 9-inch pie dish
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- 1 package of tofu - firm
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp turmeric (optional for color)
- 3 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg mixed with 1 cup ice cold almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more for topping)
- 2 cups (peeled, cubed, boiled potatoes)
- Garnish scallion and vegan sour cream
- 1 package of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- cracked black pepper
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and bake in the oven on 250 for 30 to 40 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add coconut oil to flour, use your (clean) hands to work the coconut oil into the flour until you have a mixture that looks like a coarse meal with pieces of butter no bigger than a pea. Sprinkle water onto the flour mixture a little at a time, and work the dough with your hands until the dough can be formed into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk and press into a pie dish. Drape the rolled out dough over the pie or tart pan and press the dough into the sides of the pan. Trim and crimp the edges. Wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 mins to 1hr. Poke holes with a fork in the bottom of the pie crust for air to escape and bake on 350 for 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Filling: In a food processor blend together the tofu, faux egg, nutritional yeast, arrowroot, turmeric (optional) and add salt and pepper. Add almond milk if needed to help the mixture move more smoothly. Once combined, fold in the shiitake bacon, vegan egg, potatoes, and jalapeño. Combine and then place in the pre-baked pie shell. Top with additional cheese and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let completely cool. Top with vegan sour cream, scallion and more faux bacon and serve! Slice and enjoy!