Vegan Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
Hello & Happy Monday!!
Before I go into just how fab this recipe turned out, I have to be honest and say that I’ve never made a quiche before, ever, vegan or not lol..
The idea alone of making “quiche” for breakfast is just out of the norm for me.
Now that I’ve explored making vegan quiche, ..I’m totally, utterly, and will forever be a “quiche” person as it’s just SO. EASY. to make and of course.. SO GOOD.
If you can make tofu eggs, you can make quiche, and its 9343984 times better!
If you’re looking to take your tofu eggs to the next level or simply assure yourself that you too can make quiche..
Then you have to try this eggcellent eggless recipe lol..
(see what I did there)
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Can be packed with veggies
Everyone will think you are “Oh so fancy” when you tell them you can make vegan quiche
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 to 2 1/2 Tbsp of water
- One 9-inch pie dish
- 2 cups cooked spinach (if using frozen, thaw first), squeezed to remove excess water with paper towels
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 onion
- 1 package sliced mushrooms washed
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 package of tofu - firm
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg mixed with 1 cup ice cold almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 clove garlic
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Cut the butter into cubes and use your (clean) hands to work the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that looks like a coarse meal with pieces of butter no bigger than a pea. Sprinkle water onto the flour mixture a little at a time, and work the dough with your hands until the dough can be formed into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- 1b When you are ready to roll out the dough, remove the disk from the refrigerator and let come to room temp for 10 minutes. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a diameter 2 inches wider than your pie or tart pan. Drape the rolled out dough over the pie or tart pan and press the dough into the sides of the pan. Trim and crimp the edges. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. (optional)
- Poke holes with a fork in the bottom of the pie crust for air to escape and bake on 350 for 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
- In a medium size pan cook the garlic and scallions in white wine and olive oil for 2 minutes until translucent. Add the mushrooms and yellow bell pepper and continue to cook for an additional 3-5 until soft. Lastly, add the rinsed spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly soft, but not all the way cooked. (you will bake it all together and you don't want to overcook it) Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor blend together the tofu, faux egg, nutritional yeast, arrowroot, dijon, turmeric and add salt and pepper. Once combined place the veggies back on low heat and pour in the tofu mix. Combine and then place in the pre-baked pie shell. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let completely cool. This will provide a more solid texture the longer you weight. Slice and enjoy!
- Vegan cheese optional
- Kale optional