Vegan Roasted Brussels Pasta with Shiitake Bacon in Dijon Garlic Cashew Cream Sauce
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 servings
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 16 ounces Brussels Sprouts (halved)
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch each sea salt + black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tsps dried rosemary
- 1 Tbsp olive oil & 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp dijon
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan cheese - garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts - garnish
- 2 tbs chopped parsley, optional - garnish
- 1 package sliced shiitakes
- 2 tsps soy sauce
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 bowls cooked penne pasta
- Shiitake Bacon: Preheat the oven to 250. Toss the sliced mushrooms in the ingredients and spread out on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-45 minutes until slightly crispy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and add Brussels sprouts to a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, toss in the oil and garlic, & season generously with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Toss brussles midway to get an even bake, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Once you hit a boil add the pasta and reduce to a simmer.
- Heat a large rimmed skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add butter, olive oil and shallots and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes until slightly golden brown. Add the wine. then add wine and sauté for 2-4 minutes, or until the wine has reduced by about half. Set aside.
- In a high power blender add the soaked cashews, garlic/shallot mixture, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, almond milk, dijon, salt/pepper and blend until smooth. Taste the sauce and add additional dijon or nutritional yeast as desired. Adjust the thickness at any point by adding almond milk.
- Transfer sauce back to the skillet and warm over medium-low heat until bubbly while whisking. Add the cooked pasta, roasted Brussels and shiitake bacon. Toss and coat. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and parsley.