Vegan Soft Baked Activated Charcoal Cookies
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If there is one cookie I’m completely enamored with, its soft baked! For whatever reason I was always drawn to the everyday soft baked cookies with icing at the store. I love the texture, the icing, it just strays away from the traditional cookie that can be overly baked!
That being said, when thinking of the perfect Halloween cookie, i wanted to do a concept with a bold out of the ordinary color and black was it! Rather than opting for even natural food coloring, which can be hard to find, activated charcoal products are everywhere online and seemed like the perfect ingredient.
I personally don’t use activated charcoal a lot, but it’s a great product to have to achieve anything from grey to black and I’m just so intrigued by the product. Does it have all the abilities people claim? There are a few credible studies out there, but I don’t know if I would dive head first into using charcoal on a daily basis.
However, I would dive head first into these effortless vegan Soft Baked Activated Charcoal Cookies!!
What’s fab about these cookies, is everything! They are quick, easy, have minimal ingredients, are buttery soft, can be made in various shade, you can throw in whatever spices or extracts you like, perf for Halloween, and you can even make a game out of guess the flavor as the color won’t be altered and charcoal is flavorless!
If you love fun Halloween concepts you have to try my recipe for vegan Soft Baked Activated Charcoal Cookies!!
Why this recipe rocks:
No commercial dyes
Perf for Halloween
Made with activated charcoal
Can be made into a game
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-12 depending on size
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp activated charcoal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, activated charcoal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of standing mixer, beat together powdered sugar, melted coconut oil, almond milk and vanilla until creamy.
- Add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined. Dough will thicken as you stir. If the dough still seems runny simply pop in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Roll 2-tablespoon size scoops of dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly with fingers to 1/2-inch thick. You can of course make them as thick as you like! Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake, as cookies won't shift in color.
- Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
You can add cocoa powder for a chocolate flavor and omit the vanilla You can add the charcoal later to the mixing bowl with all of the ingredients to achieve various shades. Simply start with a little and gradually add more. 1/2tbs will get you a dark grey color!