Hello & Happy Monday!!
Let me start by saying, I’ve had Spanakopita a few times, and the times I’ve had it were so long ago, and at that time I didn’t even know what it was referred to. Spankopita is a dish derived from Greek cuisine that you can find anywhere and everywhere and of course, it’s oh so good!
I created this recipe almost 2 years ago, but based on may variables being the end result and just how effortless it is, it remains to still be one of my fave vegan dishes even after 300 recipes!
It’s cheesy, it’s buttery, it’s flakey, it’s filling, and I don’t even really have to sell it to you because.. it’s Vegan Spanakopita
If you need a recipe that will shock your non vegan friends or one that is guaranteed to not disappoint..
You need this recipe for Vegan Spanakopita
Why this recipe rocks:
Tastes better than the classic version
Tons of veggies
Great for enteratining
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-8 servings
25 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- ½ a 16 oz package of vegan frozen phyllo Dough (I used wheat, but recommend the traditional variety)
- 1/2 cup vegan Earth Balance melted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 bags fresh spinach
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 blocks Follow Your Heart Mozzarella
- 2 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Follow Your Heart Eggs w/almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a pie or circular pan with olive oil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add diced onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Add washed spinach and cook until heated through. Add the squeeze of lemon. Remove and let cool slightly. Drain the liquid as much as you can with your hands or using a mesh bag or cheese cloth.
- In a bowl combine vegan cheese, dill, nutmeg, pepper, salt. Mix up the FYH vegan egg with cold almond milk and add it to the mix. Pop in the microwave for 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Add in the spinach that's been drained.
- To assemble, lay 4-6 filo sheets covering every angle on the pan. Brush with melted butter. Continue to arrange filo sheets in a clockwork fashion. Add vegan butter the tops of each new pair of filo dough as you go. If you don't, the texture will be more doughy. After 4 sheets, place spinach mixture in the center and spread into an even layer. Carefully fold phyllo excess filo inward and layer 4 or more sheets on top, layering butter on each and tucking the sheets in. For a cleaner cut and easier serving experience, precut the Spankopita. Bake for 25-30 or until edges are golden and center is set.
If you want to get modern you can toss in kale!