Hello & Happy Friday!!
Let me start by saying, I’ve had Spanakopita a few times, and the times I’ve had it were so long ago, and at that time I didn’t even know what it was referred to.
Spankopita is a dish derived from Greek cuisine that you can find anywhere and everywhere.
It’s cheesy, it’s buttery, it’s flakey, it’s filling, and I don’t even really have to sell it to you because.. it’s Vegan Spanakopita
If you need a recipe that will shock your non vegan friends or one that is guaranteed to not disappoint..
You need this recipe for Vegan Spanakopita
Why this recipe rocks:
Tastes better than the classic version
Tons of veggies
Great for enteratining
- ½ a 16 oz package of vegan frozen Filo Dough (I used wheat)
- 1/2 cup VEGAN Earth Balance melted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 bags fresh spinach
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1 bunch kale (remove from stems, slice, massage)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 blocks Follow Your Heart Mozzarella
- 2 tsp dill
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Follow Your Heart Eggs w/almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease a pie or circular pan with olive oil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add diced onion and cook until translucent. Add washed spinach and kale cook until heated through. Add the squeeze of lemon. Remove and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl combine spinach mixture, garlic, vegan cheese, dill, nutmeg and salt. Mix up the FYH vegan egg with cold almond milk and add it to the mix.
- To assemble, lay 4-6 filo sheets covering every angle on the pan. Brush with melted butter. Continue to arrange filo sheets in a clockwork fashion. VEGAN Butter the tops of each new pair of filo dough as you go. When all sheets have been used, place spinach mixture in the center and spread into an even layer. Carefully fold phyllo excess filo inward and layer 4 or more sheets on top tucking the sheets in. Precut the Spankopita and Butter the top. Bake for 25-30 or until edges are golden and center is set.