Vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad
Hello & Happy Thuesday!!
They say if you want to pursue a plant based lifestyle, it’s better to explore recipes that are not mock ups of your previous meat favorites. As a plant based alumni I actually find it exciting to recreate some of the ol’ classics sans animal products as 99% of the time..
They taste better, are visually more appealing, and of course much more nutrient dense!
If you can imagine, in the midst of not being 100% plant based I had some random go to favorites. (I’m addicted to having a routine) One of my ultimate faves sadly was.. tuna salad with mayo and mustard.. (cringe)
Fast forward to today, I love all things chickpeas and find that thy are a kitchen staple in my home. You can make falafel, classic hummus, bake and season them, and even use the fluid to make a vegan meringue or chocolate mousse.
Needless to say, chickpeas are my BFF.
What I love about this sammie is that its effortless, a no brainer, can be made in bulk, is the perf combo that can be enjoyed throughout the week, costs pennies to the dollar, packs flavor, turmeric which is anti-inflammatory, hemp seeds, nutrients, protein, and is non vegan approved to boot! (trying to watch your carbs? its good even without the bread!)
If you’re looking for the tuna salad replica or simply a go to combo to add to your weekly cooking routine, you need this vegan Chickpea Tuna Salad recipe!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packs tons of flavor and protein
Non vegan approved
Serves 1 sandwich
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 3 15-oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed - Keep the fluid for aquafaba!
- 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped (4 stalks)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan mayonnaise, or as desired
- 1/3 cup spicy mustard
- 3/4 cup red onion, or as desired
- 4 scallions, chopped (use some of the white)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds
- 3/4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup relish
- 3 tbsp fresh dil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup Sliver almonds (optional)
- 3 avocado
- 6 onion rolls
- mixed greens
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl with your hand leaving some whole (my preference) or use a fork. Combine the mashed chickpeas with the remaining ingredients and mix together. Chill in the fridge for 20-30 minutes (I feel it gives the ingredients time to blend together). Serve as suggested on sourdough bread with avocado and mixed greens