Vegan Zucchini Lasagna
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
I’d like to first say, I’ve never been a huge pasta person. I find it heavy, and nutritionally lacking 99% of the time. Needless to say, I never get a craving for it.
Except when I think of vegan Zucchini Lasagna!
When I first explored this recipe I incorporated pasta, as I wanted it to be more filling. I later came to realize that the dish is so filling even without the pasta by simply adding more ingredients such as spinach!
What I love about this lasagna is that its aesthetically pleasing (lay your zucchinis in a braid), offers more flavor with the grilled lasagna, affordable, packs tons of veggies, can be made with just cashew cheese if you want to omit all vegan products, can be made in bulk, cashew basil cheese is superb, and this dish is non vegan approved!
If you love a good lasagna, but are looking to explore healthier variations with less carbs and more veggies without sacrificing flavor..
You have to try my classic vegan Zucchini Lasagna with cashew basil cheese!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed with veggies
Cashew basil cheese
Can be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-10 slices
25 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (10-15 leaves)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5-ounce can no-salt-organic diced tomatoes
- 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 medium zucchinis
- Coarse salt
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 block Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart vegan parmesan (optional)
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- Basil-Cashew Cheese: Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth.
- Tomato Sauce: Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add diced onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until onions are softened. Add garlic and cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant. Next, add the crushed tomatoes, and basil leaves. Season with red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil and then simmer on medium low for 10 minutes.
- Spinach:Thaw out frozen spinach, squeeze out the water. Throw in a pan for 3 minutes on med/high with a drizzle of olive oil and salt/pepper.
- Zucchini Lasagna: Preheat the griddle to medium/high. Slice each zucchini into ?-inch thick slices. lightly coat with olive oil and season them with garlic salt and cook each side for 3 minutes.
- Spread a 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Lay 4-5 zucchini slices side-by-side on the bottom of the dish. If you're slices aren't long enough for the entire casserole you can add another vertical row or place some slices horizontally to fill the space. Top the slices with ½ cup sauce and ¼ cup cashew cheese, then a little bit of spinach. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a final layer of zucchinis topped with vegan cheeses.
- Bake on 350, covered, for 15 minutes and then bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the lasagna is golden brown. Let the lasagna sit for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Garnish with more fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
If you don't have a griddle: Set the oven to broil at 500 degrees F with the rack about 5-inches from the element (usually the second position down from the top).Slice the zucchini into even 1/4-inch thick slices. Lay out single layers of zucchini slices on baking sheet pans. (Do not line the baking sheet pans with wax paper or parchment. They will burn.) Lightly brush the zucchini slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Flip over the slices and repeat for the other side. One baking sheet pan at a time, broil for 8 minutes, or until lightly brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Place the slices on paper towels to remove excess moisture. Repeat for remaining slices.