Summer Beauty Guide
Hello & Happy Saturday!!
Long before I started cooking I was utilizing EDS to bring followers a first hand look at natural products. Back in 2012, believe it or not there wasn’t a ton of options and reviews were minimal. It was refreshing to offer insight to natural skincare to ultimately make navigating green products more seamless.
When I first started testing products I was very stringent on everything I used and featured via EDS. Products had next to nothing in them and I achieve the results I was seeking at the time. As I grew older and my skin craved more results, I had to branch out and embrace more of the anti aging items. While I explore products today that may have more ingredients than the ones I used in my 20’s, I’m careful with the products I choose.
In keeping with tradition with featuring product review, I’ve compiled a list of my current faves from skincare to candles and more! This is everything I’m in love with! (not sponsored)
Have you tried any of these?
Do you have any personal favorites you would like to share?
Please do so in the comments below!
Branches of eucalyptus, tied with sisal twine, stand quietly in a tall vessel near the door. Their appearance is not only to add life to a work space, but to help clear the mind. Indeed, its bracing, clean aroma is ideal for unencumbered thinking.
- Extra virgin olive oil and almond oil deliver superior moisture and vital nutrients
- Artisanally dry aged and quadruple milled to offer a rich, long lasting bar
- Refined, perfume-grade fragrances provide a lasting, natural scent
- Hypoallergenic and free of sulfates, parabens and other synthetic ingredients for a genuinely pure experience
Faded cushions sink into creaky wicker furniture, as a gentle breeze visits through the wide porch screens. Clean yet creamy gardenia and jasmine drift in from the yard’s dew-laden shrubs, mingling with the ocean air from down the road.
- Essential oil based fragrances deliver a natural and true scent
- Highly concentrated fragrances fully and evenly scent any room
- Unique solid soy wax and 100% cotton wicks provide a clean, non toxic burn
Review: I discovered Lafco back in 2007 in NYC. At the time they had a slew of options, a flagship store on the LES and were just being promoted by Oprah. Today they have exploded and offer countless scents and even skincare and soaps! I was instantly captivated by this company from their modern packaging to the unique clean scents. I’m currently now obsessed with their soaps. As of 2018, soaps have slipped into the background eclipsed by body wash. However, I grew up on soap, and quality soap is completely different then the pedestrian soap they sell at the market.
Lafco soaps are beautifully blended with the scents mirroring the candles, they last forever, don’t dry out the skin and leave you smelling more fresh than any “bath gel”. In addition to soaps they also feature hand soap and lotion. If you wash your hands countless times like I do, you crave a high quality duo. Lafco soaps/lotion sets again mirror the candle scents and are amazing! They clean without drying out the hands and the aroma is just perfection. If you love a company that doesn’t disappoint in any capacity, you have to check out Lafco!
Eye Cream: Dr. Goldfaden’s potent age defying energetic eye cream revitalizes the delicate eye area by reducing the appearance of fine lines, puffiness, and under eye darkness.
- May reduce the appearance of puffiness and under eye darkness
- Boosts, rejuvenates, and rehydrates the eye area
- Works to reduce the appearance of fine lines and small wrinkles
Neck Cream: This dynamic breakthrough formula will make skin feel stronger, appear firmer, and works to diminish the appearance of lines, crepe-iness and sagging skin on the neck and décolleté.
- Skin will feel stronger and appear plumper
- Offers the necessary nutrients to restore a youthful-looking neck
- May improve the appearance of skin color and tone
Review: Goldfaden MD is a newer company that I explored in recent months. As you would envision, it’s curated by an MD and they feature a handful of products that really work wonders for the skin. I love the gold packaging, even the boxes are gorgeous, and the price point is higher, but again you get what you pay for and their is longevity in the products (a lil goes a long way). This time I explored the Neck Cream and the Eye Cream. Believe it or not, the neck is one of the first places that begins to show signs of aging because it’s always overlooked.
As I approach 34 I can already see the aging rings start to become more prominent and with the boom of technology we are constantly looking down creating even deeper lines. While you can simply hydrate your neck with your face cream, this one is specifically geared towards the neck. I felt as though I could see results after a few uses and I personally prefer to have a product specifically for that area to remind me to focus on my neck. The price is high for some consumers, but a little goes a long way!
Everyone needs a good eye cream and this one doesn’t disappoint! Hydrating, lifting, and everything you need in an eye cream. Not overly greasy, perf for any season or skin type.
Depuff: A high potency caffeine and peptide complex to counter fluid and fatty deposits that can lead to puffiness and bags. Cellular boosting and pigmentation correcting actives help diminish the signs of shadowing and dark circles. Skin tone is improved by strengthening the cellular matrix beneath the skin’s surface. Instantly smooths, lifts, and tightens to give a more youthful appearance.
- Fortifies the skin through organization of the extracellular matrix within the epidermis.
- Supports cellular mobility and communication for improved oxygenation, repair and luminosity.
- Helps prevent collagen degradation and loss of elasticity, improving skin tone.
- Cellular boosting and pigmentation correcting actives help diminish the signs of shadowing and dark circles.
- Prevents the accumulation of lipids that lead to puffiness and eye bags.
- Instantly helps smooth, lift and tighten to give a more youthful appearance.
- Supports barrier properties to prevent TEWL helping maintain hydration levels
This daytime moisturiser features a pioneering combination of encapsulated (non-irritant) Retinol and SPF 30 to simultaneously refine the complexion and protect the skin. Retinol boosts collagen production and smooths fine lines and wrinkles, while the addition of SPF 30 protects from UVA/B rays and free radical damage. Rich in Hyaluronic Acid this moisturizer helps restore hydration, leaving the complexion smooth and supple and skin tone brighter.
- Clinically proven to increase moisture by 18.5% after 30 days
- Wrinkle reduction of 16.3% after 30 days
- Rich in Vitamin A, C and E to protect against free radicals, boost cell renewal, correct imperfections and brighten skin tone
Review: When I first explored MZ Skincare I was completely enamored with her products. The line is developed by an MD and she only offers a handful of products, but they all are game changers. This line is based out of the UK, but you can find it with online retailers. I’ve tried other products, loved those, and this time I decided to opt for the de-puff eye gel and the face cream. As of I’ve gotten older my eyes tend to get a little on the puffy side at time. I typically just opt for a hydrating eye cream as the gels don’t offer a lot of hydration. However, I remained optimistic as her products are just magic. Within 2 uses I could see a difference in the lift it gave my eyes. I’ll admit, I don’t like pump containers as I love to know that I’m getting every drop of a product, the portion looks small, but again, you only need a tiny bit, but the results are noticeable. Given the price point I wouldn’t use on a daily basis, but when warranted.
The face cream is ultra hydrating, has a hint of spf, white, goes on smooth, and a little bit goes a long way. I would consider this more of a day cream with an extra boost of hydration, but not overly saturating. I personally love the scent she uses in all of her products. If you’re not familiar with the line, I highly recommend checking out MZ Skincare!
Every RODIN formula has a power base of 9 powerhouse oils. All are pure and natural, not synthetic. This core works to keep skin smooth, supple, glowing. Omegas build a skin-strengthening moisture barrier. Vitamins A, E and C to help skin shrug off the effects of modern life.
Southwest Asia Sweet Almond Oil, Moroccan Argon Oil and Himalayan Apricot Seed Oil are the big three in this RODIN quality core. A shared wealth of antioxidants and fatty acids to improve skin’s appearance, pronto.
Paraben-free, Phthalate-free, Silicone-free, Sulfate-free and Cruelty-free.
Review: I’m beyond elated to say that I finally explored Rodin. Since it’s inception I’ve been trying to get my hands on their products as they are viewed as the cream of the crop in natural skincare. I was instantly intrigued with their marketing, branding, and what set their products apart from others. I was able to sample their first initial product, the facial oil and was instantly swept off my feet. I honestly wanted to feel disappointment as I had built up the product so much in my head and didn’t see what all the fuss was about.
However, the oils in the serum blend seamlessly together and its so aromatic that its comparable to a perfume. It’s concentrated, making a little go a long way, ultra hydrating, and can even double as a perfume. The price point is steep for the product and portion you see, but at the end of the day I can see the difference, can gauge the quality, and I give it two thumbs up! (The notes of jasmine are my personal favorite) If you’re considering exploring Rodin products, they have countless others that are probably also game changers, I highly recommend checking them out!
An easy five minute foaming gel mask: Innovative, oxygenating cleansing agents lift dirt, oil and make-up away from the skin, while creating a barrier to seal hydration. Complex amino acids and natural almond extract gently and effectively purify, balance and soothe. Stable Vitamin C, anti-oxidant Vitamin E and Soy Protein help address concerns for aging. Natural fragrance and color.
• vitamin c smoothes and brightens.
• green tea extract and vitamin e work as antioxidants.
• squalene, glycerin, and sodium pca moisturize and hydrate.
Eye Cream: Our most technologically advanced eye treatment. Rich and nourishing, our intensive eye cream absorbs residue free. Luxuriously concentrated, our cream synthesizes absorbent fatty acids to instantly target lines, wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles. Hydrating peptides and trusted marine algae protect and balance to help restore and brighten.
• amino-acid peptides help address the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
• marine algae works as an anti-oxidant.
• sodium hyaluronate + panthenol boost moisturization.
Rum Lotion: Smooth on our rum body lotion and instantly feel hydrated. Light in weight, yet heavy in performance, provitamin b5 and essential fatty acids deliver deep, long lasting moisture and nourishment. The quick-absorbing, natural formula leaves skin feeling soft and beautifully scented with out best selling Dark Rum fragrance.
• fatty acids deliver lightweight yet intense hydration.
• provitamin b5 nourishes and hydrates.
• grapeseed oil restores moisture.
• dark rum fragrance adds a warm, delicious scent.
Moisturizer: Our two in one moisturizer and sunscreen provides broad spectrum SPF 30 protection from UVA and UVB rays for face and body. This lightweight formula synthesizes Aloe and Willowherb Extracts to soothe and Vitamin E with Allantoin for moisture and added antioxidant protection. Perfect base for make-up application. Natural fragrance and color. Water-resistant for 80 minutes.
• avobenzone 3%, homosalate 10%, octinoxate 7.5%, octocrylene 2.75%, and oxybenzone 5% offer broad-spectrum protection.
• vitamin e provides antioxidant protection.
• aloe soothes and refreshes.
Dark Rum Candle: A scent with cult status, our best-selling dark rum is a modern interpretation of traditional bay rum. Top notes of bergamot and plum mingle with middle notes of leather and rum, and base notes of amber-patchouli and vanilla to create a rich, powerful, lasting scent that completely envelops a space. Handmade locally in Brooklyn, the candle’s natural wax blend has a clean, slow burn that lasts up to 60 hours.
Review: Oh my goodness, how much do I love MG? Let me count the ways! I discovered this company back in 2007 in NYC and also staying at the Delano Miami as they feature their products within the hotel rooms. From the marketing to the packaging I was instantly in love with this brand. The candles are aromatic and unique and there is something about each blend that just draws me in. In recent years they branched out to feature more skincare items in addition to soaps and I was curious to finally explore them. The mask is said to be one of their best sellers and I can see why. You get a generous portion, its ultra hydrating, more so than any other face mask I’ve tried. Within minutes your skin can go from dry to butter soft and it’s just magic. The facial moisturizer and eye cream are also great as they are staple items that have minimal ingredient and just get the job done. Based on the branding and the scent of both they fall more in the unisex category making them a great find for both men and women. A generous portion for both (a lil goes a long way) and a solid price point, you really can’t go wrong.
I love all of their candles and the Dark Rum is iconic within the line. While they seem on the pricier side, just like Lafco candles, they last a long time and the scent permeates the air versus others that just fade. The Dark Rum lotion is also divine and makes post bath like a spa day. In my 20’s I never splurged on bath products, but I’m telling, spend out. It makes winding down before bed that much better! If you’re wanting to explore the line they offer various sample kits!
Heads up! Your scalp and hair are vulnerable to sun damage every time you step outside.
Part ways from burnt parts without weighing down your style. Protect these commonly overlooked areas.
Coola Tinted SPF: Be cool, calm, and protected with our Mineral Face SPF 30 Matte Tint Moisturizer. Your daytime lotion, antioxidants, and SPF in one, this sheer, mattifying formula delivers lightweight hydration, helps reduce shine, and gives your skin a fresh-looking hint of coverage.
- 70%+ certified organic ingredients
- Broad spectrum SPF 50 protection
- Water resistant (80 minutes)
- Continuous spray-on application
- Rich in antioxidants
- Naturally scented and unscented options
- Reef Safe/Reef Friendly (Guava Mango)
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS (SUNSCREEN):
Avobenzone – 3.0%, Octocrylene – 10.0%, Octisalate – 5.0%
Alcohol (ORGANIC), Algae Extract (ORGANIC), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (ORGANIC), Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cucumis Sativus (ORGANIC Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Flavor, Fragaria Vesca (ORGANIC Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Glycerin (ORGANIC), VA/Butyl Maleate/Isobornyl Acrylate Copolymer, Water
Review: I’ve been using Coola products for quite some time now as they were one of the first organic spf companies on the scene years ago. From the fun festive packaging to the clean ingredients, I instantly fell in love with the brand. They offer everything from traditional spf cream, to sprays, to even hair spf and self tanners. I love their spf, it works, lasts, and gets the job done sans bad chemicals. The hair spf is a newer product and great for those who don’t wear hats and have fare skin or skin at all.
We overlook the scalp entirely and I’ve yet to see a similar product. Skin cancer on the scalp is actually quite common. So common that I personally know someone that had cancer removed on their scalp at the age of 30. In addition to spf’s they have hands down the best self tanner on the market. It sprays offering equal dispersion and an organic looking glow, a natural color, a little goes a long way, doesn’t streak, doesn’t wreak, and I just can’t live without it. If you’re searching for an organic spf or all around quality natural products, you have to check out Coola!
Mature, Very Dry Sensitive Skin
- Quenches moisture levels and locks in water for lasting hydration.
- Protects sensitive skin from the ageing effects of irritation
- Unique balance of Omegas nourish cells for a smoother complexion.
- Formulated with premium organic ingredients.
Sensitive, Dry, Mature
- Plant Squalene locks-in moisture and prevents water loss.
- Powerful anti-inflammatories protect sensitive skin from the ageing effects of irritation.
- Lipid and Collagen protectors help keep the skin firm and plump.
All Skin Types, Sensitive, Dry & Dehydrated
- Suitable for very sensitive skin and made with Eczema, Dermatitis and Psoriasis in mind
- Konjac Sponge creates a silky, generous foam without sulphates.
- Uplifting aroma without irritation
All Skin Types, Sensitive, Mature, Dry & Dehydrated
- Deeply nourishing, buttery Cream delivers an intensive hydration boost.
- Leaves skin supple, soft and comfortable.
- Formulated for very dry and reactive skin. Ideal for Eczema, Psoriasis and Dermatitis sufferers.
Review: I had heard of Pai skincare for years, but it was one of those companies that just slipped through the cracks that I never got to try. They are a small company that offers an array of staple skincare and body care items with minimal ingredients. I sampled their age defying cream that was ultra hydrating, comes in a pump and like all of their products has no funny business going on. In terms of hydration its perf for night time and winter months as the hydration factor is higher than most cream. That being said, a little goes a long way! While I’m not crazy about pumps, the silver lining is that it prevents you from using your fingers and possibly making the cream oxidize faster. Since the product is free of parabens, it has a higher tendency to spoil.
I typically pair my lotions with an oil, making the lotion be the last item I use to lock it all in, but with the age defying lotion that may not be warranted. The serum is ultra hydrating and I believe one of the products that they were known for. The oil has an herbal like scent and like all serums, a little goes a long way. Natural bath products are something I love to splurge on as a young 30 something. In my 20’s I didn’t see the need, but today I love to treat myself to clean ingredients wherever I can. The lotion and bath gel are gentile. and offer a clean herbal scent. You may be able to find these product as your local Whole foods, but if not they are available online. Great price point, clean ingredient, and get the job done!
- Non-abrasive formula cleanses and exfoliates skin without causing micro scratches – a common side effect of most scrubs
- Contains a trio of organic exfoliating grains, including Almond Meal, Jojoba Beads and Oat Extract which also protects skin against UVA oxidative stress
- Delivers a strong anti-aging benefit
- Gentle enough to be used everyday
- Use twice weekly for normal skin or daily for dry skin
- Naturally balances PH level in the skin
- Ideal for dry, sensitive skin and for individuals
suffering from Rosacea
- Instantly removes redness and irritation from the skin
- INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water (Aqua), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flowers*.
- Easily absorbed lightweight formula won’t clog pores
- Contains Oat Beta Glucan to protect against UVA oxidative stress
- Our non-toxic sunblock is derived from minerals Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide to offer complete protection from the sun without irritating even the most sensitive skin
- Use daily under make-up or alone
- Contains Plant Pseudocollagen – a living, plant derived yeast that in nature actually holds plants in their upright position, in skin it binds moisture on a cellular level which dramatically lifts and firms eye tissue
- Squalene gently hydrates and protects skin against dehydration
- Use once or twice daily
Review: KS is another product line that slipped through the cracks as I began to slow down on green beauty reviews. This company is featured at Whole Foods, has organic ingredients, and a fab price point. Since the product same on the later side I didn’t get to explore the eye gel and the face cream in the fullest capacity. That being said, I’m going to integrate my expereince with those at the end of the week!
While I enjoy more age prevention products today, I keep my face washes/toners/body products all with minimal ingredients and very gentle. I was excited to try their toner and face wash to see if they were a good fit. The face wash is super gentle and cream based, so you’ll have to use a toner to remove residual makeup. I like lotion face washes, but they are not for everyone as they can create more work to get all of your makeup off. The toner that you pair it with dEesn’t really offer a lavender aroma, but contains minimal ingredients and you get a generous portion. What I did pick up on is that the product smells like witch hazel, which is camparable to hydrogen peroxide and can dry out the skin. While it didn’t dry it out, it cleaned the skin making it a great choice. The exfoliate is super hydrating and doesnt really have a scrub factor. Since I have naturally dry skin and need to exfoliate more on a regular basis, this product wouldnt’ work for me, but could be used as a face wash.
I love the sleek packaging, even more the pricing and the generous portions you receive, but I would recommend it more for younger consumers rather than those looking for anti aging skincare or products with a little boost. However, that’s what you’re going to encounter a lot with natural products. There is a give and take and a sacrifice at times when wanting clean products. I love what I’ve tried so far and will follow up with the other products next week!