Hail to the Kale!!
If your into health and happiness I’m sure you’ve heard of our dear friend “Kale”. Like you, I was also confused by what it is and what’s so great about it.
What the Hale is Kale?!
Kale, also known as borecole, is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet. A leafy green, kale is available in curly, ornamental, or dinosaur varieties. It belongs to the Brassica family that includes cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, collards, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.
I started by having it in my Green Juice, which of course just tastes like vegetable amazingness and is hard to distinguish what “Kale” specifically tastes like..
Then the other day I decided to grab some Dried Kale Chips and give those a go!
What’s funny is that I felt more comfortable with having Kale juiced versus dried as I thought there appeareance looked scary!
I tried a brand called New York Naturals. They are made in Brooklyn, New York (as local is the way to go) and they were great!
I’ve been told that the salt and vinegar style is the way to go, but when I saw vegan cheese I had already made up my mind!
I’d describe the taste and texture as was different, but after a few they were really great!
Cheesy, Crunchy, and I nearly ate the whole box!
Few things I didn’t like:
They were nearly $8.00
They can crumble, which makes them harder to eat, which means you have to always carry them in a bulky box
I felt very paranoid that some of the Kale was going to get stuck in my teeth!
There wasn’t a nutrtion label, just a small list of ingredients
The box says RAW, but Kale chips are baked?!
WHAT I DO LOVE ABOUT KALE:
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Vitamin A||8,854 IU|
|Folic Acid||9 micrograms|
|Vitamin C||27 mg|
Not crazy about the chips or juice?!
10 Ways to Prepare Kale
Click the links for recipes
- Kale Chips – This simple preparation of kale will have you begging for more. A crispy salty treat that is better than popcorn or potato chips.
- Kale Pesto – More flavorful than basil pesto, this is a great addition to pizza, pasta, or in an omelet.
- Sauteed Kale – For a hearty side dish, this is a classic preparation. I saute onions and garlic before I add the kale, and add a couple dashes of hot sauce for an added kick.
- Kale Quiche – You can substitute any spinach quiche with kale and it offers the same great taste with the added health benefits.
- Kale Soup – A classic kale soup is made with white beans and ham or sausage, however I like this recipe of using acorn squash and kale to create a sweet and savory winter favorite.
- Kale Lasagna – The perfect “make ahead” recipe for a hearty dinner is a dish the whole family can enjoy.
- Kale Juice – If you own a juicer, kale is quite possibly the healthiest thing to juice. Mix it with apples, carrot and a little lemon for a drink that is better for you than liquid gold.
- Kale Slaw – You can substitute raw kale for raw cabbage in this recipe.
- Kale Pasta – One of my favorite ingredients to add to pasta. Goes with just about anything from spaghetti to sausage pasta to baked macaroni and cheese.
- Kale Pizza – One of the joys I’ve found with eating seasonally is changing up my grilled pizza toppings. One of my favorite combinations is sauteed kale, caramelized onions, strong white cheeses.
Information brought to you by: Mindbodygreen & Eatlocalgrown