Cauliflower Club Sandwich
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
While I love a good vegan sandwich, I thought it would be fun to play up the bread component to create something with more texture and character and instantly thought..
Another kick I’ve been on is cauliflower! I find that it never ceases to amaze me and that I always discover a new way to enjoy it. It can take on whatever flavor profile you like, is full of fiber, accessible, and affordable.. you just can’t beat it!
What’s great about these waffles is that they can made alone and enjoyed with some vegan sour cream, or be subbed for the traditional bread for sandwiches! (although these won’t hold up as long as a loaf of bread)
What I truly love about this concept is, everything. The aesthetic appeal of stacking them, savory shiitake bacon, fresh tomatoes, spicy mayo, crispy cauliflower that’s reminiscent of perhaps chicken, and the vegan gouda that will literally blow your mind. While many vegan cheese are not remarkable, this blend set itself apart from any other variety I’ve tried, you have to give it a go! (it also pairs fab with tofu eggs!)
If you’re looking to rock your world with more cauliflower concepts or simply looking to put a modern spin or your vegan sandwich routine..
You have to try my recipe for a vegan Cauli Club Sandwich!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed with flavor
Vegan gouda is amazing!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 2 sandwiches
45 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 buns
- 2 slices Follow Your Heart vegan gouda
- 2 Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeas
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil spray for waffle maker
- optional: vegan follow your heart sour cream
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Mayo
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 adobo pepper (minced)
- optional garnish: Black sesame seeds and scallions
- Spicy Mayo: Combine all the ingredients in a food processor while scraping down the sides.
- Cauliflower: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut cauliflower into large slices discarding the core. Combine almond milk, flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder,salt/pepper and olive oil in a large bowl. Create a separate bowl with the Panko. Dip the pieces in the batter (let any excess drip off), then coat in Panko, place on a foil lined pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and back in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in between midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- For the spicy mayo, throw everything in a food processor and combine!
- Preheat your waffle maker to a medium setting (if available). In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan egg, almond milk, and ¼ cup of the vegan cheese. In a small bowl, combine the flour, onion powder, sea salt, nutritional yeast and garlic powder. Combine the vegan egg and almond milk mixture with the flour mixture. Spray or coat your waffle iron with olive oil. Place 1/2 cup of the batter on the waffle iron, leaving room for them to spread slightly. Close the lid and cook until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches stack them and run a skewer through them to keep them together!