Vegan Spanish Corn Chowder
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
Out of all the vegetables at the market, the one I consume the least amount of is actually..
Perhaps it’s because the idea that I’m ingesting one of the largest produced GMO crop or the fact that the nutrient density is lacking as its comprised of mostly sugar. Needless to say, I rarely buy it or get a craving for it. However, I do have an affinity for.. Spanish grilled corn!
While corn does have a slightly sweet flavor profile, which I’m not crazy about, when combined with a savory profile it makes for the perfect combination and compliments many dishes of mine as I love to put a modern Spanish twist on.. everything!
In addition to never consuming corn, I can’t recall the last time I ever had corn chowder. For some its a staple soup, for myself I gravitate towards other varieties. That being said, I had the recent urge to explore a classic vegan corn chowder concept, but one that packs more flavor than just blended corn, and of course, a bit of heat!
What I love about this recipe is the flavor, multiple textures, accessibility of all the ingredients, how affordable it is, effortless, and although the color of the soup isn’t one that I find appealing, packed with all the colorful toppings it makes for a gorgeous soup!
If you’re looking for a modernized corn chowder with more character that packs tons flavor and a lil’ fire..
You have to try my vegan Spanish Corn Chowder!
Why this recipe rocks:
Sweet and savory
Hint of fire
Can be made in bulk
A modern spin on a classic soup!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 medium Potato, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup dairy alternative
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4-5 ears of Corn, shucked
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- 4 tbsp Cilantro
- Extra bits of Corn, Red Pepper, for garnish
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan
- 2tbs lime juice
- 1 packages of shiitakes (sliced)
- 1 tbs tamari
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- Shiitake Bacon: Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients and back in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in between midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard. (coat in ingredients for however long you can)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Sautée Onion, Red Pepper, cumin, chili powder, sea salt, and adobo sauce for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add diced potatoes (skin removed) and mix well. Once mixed, add in flour and stir to coat veggies. Cook for a minute or 2 before adding almond milk, vegetable Broth and lime juice
- Stir well and then bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce to simmer, cover pan with a lid and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, or until potato bits are tender.
- Once potato is tender, add grilled corn kernels and stir to combine. Let cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer ¼-1/3 of the soup to a blender (depending on how thick you want the chowder) and blend till smooth. Pour back into the pot and stir well. Top with diced avocado, red pepper, grilled corn, jalapeno, lime juice, vegan parmesan, shiitake bacon and cilantro. Cilantro and extra bits of Corn/Red Pepper.