Vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder
Hello & Happy Friday!!
Out of all the amazing veggies at the market, the one I consume the least amount of is actually.. corn. Corn gets a bad rap at its one of the largest produced GMO crops and is lacking in nutrients being mostly comprised natural sugar. As a result, perhaps that’s why I skip it on most occasions, but there is something about a corn chowder that I’m just hooked on!
My favorite thing to do with recipes is marry the flavors of both savory and sweet. With corn being slightly sweeter, it makes for the perf soup!
In addition to corn getting a bad rap, all chowders have one too. When you hear the word chowder it typically always means heavy cream. That being said, I was excited to revisit this recipe and create a vegan version that was more flavor packed and nutrient dense, and the vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder was born.
What’s fab about this corn chowder, is simply everything! It’s a little more than 10 ingredients, but features mostly staples, it’s veggie packed, has a hint of smoke with the grilled corn, the cashew cream makes a great substitute for the typical heavy cream, it’s sweet, has heat, colorful, and perf for the upcoming fall season!
If you’re looking for fun modern vegan corn chowder, you have to try my vegan Chipotle Corn Chowder!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for the fall season
Eat Drink Shrink
Serves 6-8 cups
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ears of sweet corn, grilled, husk and silk removed and cut from the cob
- 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 package sliced shiitakes
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Shiitake bacon: Preheat oven to 250. Toss sliced shiitakes in the marinade. Bake for 30-45 mins until crispy
- Heat a large sauce pan or dutch oven to medium heat.
- Add olive oil and chopped onion, sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the red bell pepper, garlic, grilled corn and chopped jalapeños, sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low, let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, adobo sauce, and coconut milk in a blender. Blend until smooth. (you can throw some of the soup in there if you like, but I wanted to keep all the texture and didn't)
- Add the cashew cream to the pot. Let simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with cilantro, red pepper, grilled corn, avocado, jalapeño and shiitake bacon if desired.
If the soup becomes thickened overnight, simply add in more broth or coconut milk