Garlic Knots with Beer Cheese
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
For those who’ve never tried any beer inspired foods, this recipe sounds perhaps obscure. Like you, ages ago I was introduced to beer cheese soup and although the thought of the concept sounded off-putting at first..
The flavor was beyond amazing!
How amazing? I don’t even like beer, but for whatever reason, cheese infused with beer is pure magic!
This recipe came to fruition, because of the obvious.. there wasn’t a single vegan beer cheese recipe I could find!
What I love about this recipe is both elements, the shiitake bacon garlic rolls and the beer cheese are simply superb by themselves, but put them together.. and you truly have something ground breaking!
If you’re looking for an appetizer that has both aesthetic appeal and a flavor profile that will leave you longing for another bite…
You need my recipe for vegan Shiitake Bacon Garlic Knots with Beer Cheese!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining!
Beer cheese is the bomb!
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 Pound Store Bought or Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 TBS Butter
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 4-6 Cloves of Garlic – minced (roughly 2 TBS)
- 4 tbsp Chives – minced
- ¾ cup vegan Follow Your Heart Parmesan
- All Purpose Flour, for work surface
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup sliced shiitakes
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 TBS Earth Balance vegan butter
- 2 TBS All Purpose Flour
- 1 (12 ounce) Bottle of vegan beer
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ tsp Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 large clove of Garlic – minced
- ½ Cup (4 oz.) vegan Follow Your Heart Cream Cheese – softened and diced
- 1 block vegan Follow Your Heart Cheddar cheese - grated
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt, plus more to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Shiitake bacon: coat sliced shiitakes in all of the ingredients, let soak for an hour or longer, bake on 200 for 45mins, rotate after 25 minutes to ensure crispy shiitakes! Keep the residual sauce to use with bread. Set aside shiitakes to use for knots.
- Heat a 10’’ cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the residual marinade, garlic, and butter. Heat until melted and starting to foam. Place cooked shiitakes in a bowl and the butter mixture to it. Stir in ½ cup parmesan cheese and chives. Set cast iron skillet aside, leaving the butter residue in the pan. For the Knots: Lightly flour a clean work surface. Divide the pizza dough into two even halves. Working with one half at a time, use a rolling pin to roll/stretch to form a long rectangle, 8’’x4’’. Use a pizza cutter or bench scraper to cut the rectangle, crosswise, into 12 even strips. Repeat stretching, forming a rectangle and cutting strips with the other half of the dough. Sprinkle the dough strips with a little bit of flour to prevent sticking.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Working one strip at a time, roll to form a small rope. Coat with the butter parmesan/shiitake mixture, then tie into a knot. Continue rolling and tying until all the dough is knotted. Transfer the knots to the cast iron skillet, in a single layer. Turn off the oven. Cover the knots tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rest in the oven until doubled in size, about 2-4 hours. Or, refrigerate the wrapped knots until doubled in size, 12-14 hours.
- Prepare the Beer-Cheese Dip: In a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat, melt the vegan butter until slightly foaming. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 ½ - 2 minutes, until pale in color. Slowly whisk in the beer. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium. Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire, Sriracha and garlic. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the salt and cream cheese. Stir to thoroughly incorporate. Reduce heat to medium low. One handful at a time, add the vegan cheddar cheese, stirring in between each addition. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- When ready to bake the knots: Adjust oven rack to the center position and preheat to 425 degrees F. If you refrigerated the knots, allow to come to room temperature on the counter for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the tops of knots evenly with remaining ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until knots are cooked and golden brown in color. Remove from oven, brush with a tablespoon of olive oil while still hot and sprinkle generously with additional vegan parmesan cheese. Serve the warm shiitake bacon-garlic knots with the hot beer cheese dip.