Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread Pudding
Hello & Happy Friday!
While I’ve never made bread pudding, I always gravitated toward this dessert prior to my vegan days!
What I love about bread puddings is that you can flavor it with whatever you want, add whatever fruit you desire, make an adult version perhaps, making the options endless
I’ve tried zucchini fritters, zucchini noodles, raw zucchini lasagna, but that’s the extent of my zucchini based recipes.
Until I explored vegan zucchini bread pudding!
What I love about this recipe in particular is that its easy, ha minimal added sugar, can be enjoyed by itself or with ice cream, and packs zucchini!
If you’re looking to explore vegan bread puddings, zucchini is ideal as it adds nutrients, moisture, and a softness! You have to try my recipe for vegan lemon Blueberry Bread Pudding!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perfect for spring!
Made with zucchini
Good with or without ice cream
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 6 oz vegan yogurt (lemon or vanilla)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 5-7 drops of liquid stevia or 3/4 cup Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 1 small banana (optional egg replacement)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2-2 cups blueberries (I like a lot)
- 1 cups grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini) -
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Topping (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed- if using fresh blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat two 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" bread pans with coconut oil. In a large bowl, cream together melted coconut oil, room temp. vegan yogurt, lemon juice and coconut sugar. Once combined, add in mashed banana, combine again. In a separat bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Add in lemon zest, and stir together.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and mix just until combined. Add in shredded zucchini and vanilla extract, and stir. Scrape down sides and gently add 1/2 of the blueberries to mixing bowl and blend by hand. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and pour remaining blueberries over top gently smoothing into batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool at least 10-20 minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack.
- Glaze. Mix lemon juice and powdered sugar together until well combined. With the bread on the cooling rack, pour glaze over the bread. Top with vegan ice cream and sprinkle zest over the top of the glaze.
- Syrup: Place blueberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice in small pan. Cook it, stirring occasionally, in medium heat. Let it come to a boil. In the mean time, mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Slowly stir in the cornstarch into the pan. Let it simmer for 5 minutes or until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Take it off the heat and stir in the vanilla. Store it in an airtight jar in the fridge.