Strawberry Basil Muffins
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
If there is one thing I can’t emphasize enough, it’s using fresh herbs. Fresh herbs versus dried have the ability to completely transform a dish. As a child, we never had fresh herbs in our home. As I got older though I soon realized what I was missing, everything.
One of my favorite herbs (cilantro is my #1) is basil. While we all know that it pairs seamlessly with savory dishes, it also is a wonderful addition to sweet dishes!
What I love about this recipe for Strawberry Basil muffins is that its animal product free, has a lot of moisture content with the incorporation of strawberries and banana as a binder, is made with coconut sugar, and the sugar content can be cut by excluding the crumble top!
If you’re looking to explore what all the fuss is about basil and fruit based recipes you have to try this recipe for vegan Strawberry Basil Muffins!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining
Can add protein powder for a boost!
Yields 8 to 10 muffins
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Better Body Foods Coconut Sugar (if you use other sugars the muffins will be lighter)
- 1 large over-ripe banana, mashed
- ¾ cup almond milk, at room temperature
- ? cup virgin coconut oil, liquid
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped (the more you use the more wet the muffins will be)
- 6-10 basil leaves thinly sliced (I love basil)
- 1/2 cup Better Body Foods Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
- Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, salt and baking soda and whisk to combine together. Add apple cider vinegar to the almond milk, stir to curdle and let sit for 2mins. Add mashed banana, room temp almond milk, liquid coconut oil, and vanilla extract, and then fold in the strawberries and sliced basil. Using a big spoon, gently stir for 1 minute, make sure there isn’t any flour left in the bottom of the bowl, but don't over mix.
- Using a spoon, fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full. Bake for 15 minutes. Make the crumble topping by combining all the ingredients and leaving small crumbled pieces. Post 15mins remove muffins from oven and top with crumble topping. Bake for another 15mins until lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving, or for at least 20 minutes before storing in an air-tight container.