Vegan Apple Butter
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
As a child I remember loving apple butter. Looking back, it probably has a lot to do with my long term affinity for all things cinnamon!!
For the longest time I wasn’t quite sure what apple butter was…
Was it an apple spread? a butter spread? or C all of the above?
While I can’t speak for all of the apple butter you find on the shelf. This recipe is comprised of no butter and only apples!
What I love most about this recipe outside of just the cinnamon flavor profile..
is the fact that it’s just SO EASY, has minimal ingredients, and costs just a few dollars!
If you’re looking to great something sweet to top oatmeal, baked goods, pancakes, or even just something to dip fruit into..
You need to try this effortless Vegan Apple Butter Spread!
Why this recipe rocks:
Light & sweet
Can be made in bulk
Great for oatmeal
Great to add to baked goods
- 5 apples washed and sliced - can keep or remove skins (I used granny smith)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and place lid on top.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or more. Periodically stir to prevent burning and an even cook (color should turn a dark brown)
- Allow apples to cool, then place in a food processor or use an immersion blender to achieve a smooth texture.
- Store in a jar, refrigerate, keep up to two weeks