Vegan Apple Crisp Skillet
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Believe it or not, if you haven’t noticed, I’m head over heels for all skillet concepts. I find that skillets cook things more effectively, add flavor to your dish, and also give a more fun aesthetic appeal!
One fruit concept that I never get tired of is baked apples! I love all things cinnamon and vanilla versus anything chocolate and can enjoy baked apples even in a crisp even on a hot summer day, which is why I chose them as the focus for this dessert!
What I love about crisps are the simplicity in the ingredients and that the foundation of the recipe can be complimented with a variety of fruits making the options endless! Crisps can also be made into bars and enjoyed without ice cream! (hard to imagine I know)
If you’re looking to explore skillet concepts, love baked apples, or a good crisp..
You have to try my vegan Apple Crisp Skillet recipe!
What I love about this recipe:
Great for entertaining
Can be made with any fruit!
Can add bourbon to cooked apples for an adult version!
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
3 minTotal Time
- 6 cups peeled chopped apples (save some baked apples for topping)
- 2 cups oats (I used quick cook oats)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup Earth Balance vegan cold butter
- ½ cup Better Body Foods Coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Vegan vanilla ice cream for topping
- 1 cup walnuts
- 20 pitted dates - If dried out, soak in really hot water for 5-7 mins
- 1/2 cup water, almond milk or coconut milk
- Date Caramel
- Add pitted dates to a food processor. Pulse until there are small fragments then gradually add in water, coconut milk or almond milk and continue to blend. The amount will vary based on the moisture content of the dates. I added about 1/2 cup of water.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium bowl mix oats, flour, walnuts, coconut sugar, cinnamon and cut cold butter into small pieces and use a pastry cutter to crumble the butter into the dry mixture. (alternatively use a fork) On stove heat cast iron skillet until hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and allow it to melt. Pour in apples and stir gently, then add oatmeal mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula to mix together.Drizzle 2 tablespoons caramel sauce and extra apples over the top. Remove from stove.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until apples are tender and oatmeal is golden.
- Top with vegan vanilla ice cream and more date caramel sauce and serve.