Banana Cream Pie
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
I can’t recall the last time I’ve ever had a banana cream pie. (sad story) Even before my plant based days, key lime pie was always the staple on the menu everywhere and if you were lucky it was Coconut Cream Pie..
This recipe for vegan Banana Cream Pie actually came to me after an ultra long day (which is always when the true magic happens) and just craving something that I’ve never tried vegan..
All I could think after throwing this effortless recipe together was, why did I wait so long and why on earth do vegan restaurants not feature this classic dessert!
In addition to this recipe getting an “A“ in the flavor department, I have to emphasize just how easy it was, how affordable it was, and just how gorgeous it looked!
What’s also perf about this recipe is that through taking it for a spin you can also learn how to make easy vegan caramel that’s pure heaven on just about anything and just how easy it is to make vegan coconut whip!
If you need a vegantastic recipe for this coming thanksgiving or simply want to indulge in one my new favorite vegan desserts..
You need to try this Vegan Banana Cream Pie
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made into an adult version with bourbon (yasss)
Great for any occasion, because um.. hello Banana Cream Pie
- 2 cups graham crackers, pulsed into crumbs
- 1/3 cup palm sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons soft butter
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 can coconut (solid cream only, refrigerate)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-3 tbsp arrowroot or corn starch (arrowroot is stronger)
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package of tofu (firm)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric (color, optional)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 2 cans whole fat coconut
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced bananas and pecans for topping (optional)
- In a medium saucepan add coconut cream, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and continue to whisk until just combined. Add the arrowroot, and bring to a boil over medium high heat, continue to whisk. Add The mixture should begin to thicken and turn a deep amber color. Cook for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Add the butter, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Return to heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool until it's thick enough to coat the surface of a spoon. Sauce should thicken a little bit more as it sits.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- In the body of a blender or food processor combine graham crackers, salt, and sugar. Pulse until the crackers have been completely smashed to crumbs. Add soft butter; stir well to combine. Press down into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place pie crust in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Carefully remove pie crust from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once cool, layer bananas evenly over the crust shell.
- Throw everything in a food processor except one banana and blend until smooth. Remove and fold in 1 banana sliced. Pour the banana custard over the fresh bananas topped with caramel sauce.
- Scoop out the coconut cream and place in a mixer for a minute on low, add the other ingredients and then lightly spread onto the pie. (for best results place the metal bowl and the whisker in the fridge or freezer before using)
- Top with additional bananas, graham cracker dust and caramel sauce!
- Want make an adult banana cream pie?! Add 1 1/2 tablespoon bourbon
- For more of a solid appearance, place in the fridge to set for a few hours.