Blood Orange & Thyme Olive Oil cake
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I don’t know about you, but I love using fresh herbs in.. Well just about anything, but especially desserts!
They add another dimension of flavor and aesthetic appeal. My personal favorite are rosemary, sage, and thyme!
I’ve been on a kick with making olive oil cakes. From a distance it perhaps sounds obscure as olive oil is typically used in savory recipes only. However, I find it to be such an antiquate perspective that you can’t combine savory and sweet flavors. In addition to using fresh herbs in desserts, I love to combine elements of savory and sweet!
After hitting a homerun with my first Rosemary & Lemon Olive Oil Cake, I decided to mix it up a bit and use oranges and thyme. Just like the lemon cake, this one was also a game changer!
What I love about this recipe is the simplicity in the ingredients, the very sweet with the icing, the lightly sweet with the fresh orange, and the savory notes of olive oil and rosemary tie everything in together, making it the perfect recipe for spring!
If you love innovative vegan eats you have to try my recipe for vegan Blood Orange & Thyme Olive Oil Cake!
Don’t believe how easy it is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perfect for spring
Sweet, slightly savory!
Non vegan approved
Great aesthetic appeal
Yields 8-10 servings
25 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 orange grated orange (zest)
- ¼ cup orange juice (strained)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp orange extract
- 3 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan eggs mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh blood orange juice (strained)
- 1 fresh thyme sprig, minced (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a bundt cake with coconut oil. Combine salt, baking soda, baking powder, minced thyme, and flour in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine almond milk with vegan egg, olive oil, sugar, orange juice, orange extract, vanilla extract, and orange zest. Combine, and add to flour mixture, mix until blended, but don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared bundt cake mold. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the outside is golden brown and you insert a wooden toothpick and it comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool for 15 minutes on wire rack. (don't leave in the pan as it will continue to bake) Combine powdered sugar and orange juice, stir until smooth. Place short pieces of wax or parchment paper underneath the cake. Drizzle icing over cake in circle. Garnish with thyme if desired. Remove the paper for a clean cake stand.