Blood Orange & Thyme Olive Oil cake
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I don’t know about you, but I love using fresh herbs in.. Well just about anything, but especially desserts!
They add another dimension of flavor and aesthetic appeal. My personal favorites are rosemary, sage, and thyme!
I was on a kick with making olive oil cakes last spring and they truly are game changers. That being said, I knew I had to revamp them to convey just HOW GOOD they are! From a distance it perhaps sounds obscure to utilize olive oil as its typically used in savory recipes only. However, I find it to be such an antiquated perspective that you can’t combine savory and sweet flavors.
Next to throwing in herbs with desserts, I love to combine savory and sweet as it brings the overall flavor profile full circle.
After hitting a homerun with my first Rosemary & Lemon Olive Oil Cake, I decided to mix it up a bit and explore blood orange and thyme! Blood oranges are fun to work as they provide a gorgeous hue, and in my opinion have a more rich orange flavor.
What I love about this recipe is just everything! It’s easy to follow instructions, features staple ingredients, notes of citrus, olive oil, and hints of thyme, aesthetically pleasing, perf for entertaining and captures the essence of summer!
If you love innovative vegan eats you have to try my recipe for vegan Blood Orange & Thyme Olive Oil Cake!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perfect for spring
Sweet, slightly savory!
Non vegan approved
Great aesthetic appeal
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-10 servings
25 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- zest of 1 blood orange
- ¼ cup orange juice (strained)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp orange extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan eggs mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh blood orange juice (strained)
- 1 fresh thyme sprig, minced (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a bundt cake with coconut oil. Combine salt, baking soda, baking powder, minced thyme, and flour in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine almond milk with vegan egg, olive oil, sugar, orange juice, additional almond milk, optional orange extract, vanilla extract, and orange zest. Combine, and add the wet ingredients to flour mixture, mix until blended, but don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared bundt cake mold. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the outside is golden brown and you insert a wooden toothpick and it comes out clean. I like to remove a lil early as I know that it will continue to bake while still in the mold. Remove from pan and cool for 15 minutes on wire rack. (don't leave in the pan as it will continue to bake) Combine powdered sugar and blood orange juice, stir until smooth. Place short pieces of wax or parchment paper underneath the cake or use a baking sheet. Drizzle icing over cake in circle. Garnish with thyme if desired. Remove the paper for a clean cake stand.