Vegan Blueberry Basil Sweet Rolls
Hello & Happy Friday!!
I feel as though this week has absolutely flown by! My days this week were filled with hitting the ground running with work, finalizing wedding details and putting together recipes to work with this weekend. In all honesty, there is not a minute waisted unless it’s taking Burt to the park or browsing online late at night for my rehearsal dinner dress as I’ve STILL yet to find.
While organizing a wedding is involved/complex/nightmare..
Vegan Blueberry Basil Sweet Rolls are not!
Truth, I’ve only made a handful of cinnamon roll concepts. When it comes to breakfast I don’t crave sweets, not even pancakes. I know, gasps! However, when entertaining I think they are such a fun wonderful concept alongside french toast casseroles!
For a myriad of reasons, I love working with fresh herbs, especially when it strays from their normal usage. I find that fruits pair perfectly with basil, mint, and even sage.
So in a nutshell, these vegan Bluberry Basil Sweet Rolls were a no brainer!
What I love about this recipe is of course it has no dairy or eggs, has easy to follow instructions, the basil adds a wonderful tough to enhance the flavor and the cream cheese icing with the basil garnish just puts it over the top! While this recipe may involve a little bit more time, all homemade cinnamon rolls do, but the process is super easy and this is the fastest version I’ve come across! (to be cont’d!)
If you love modern breakfast concepts that don’t disappoint!
You need this recipe for vegan Blueberry Basil Sweet Rolls like yesterday!
Why this recipe rocks:
Cream cheese icing!
Non vegan approved
Perf for summer
Can easily be made in bulk
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Yields 7 to 10
20 minPrep Time
1 hr, 30 Cook Time
1 hr, 50 Total Time
- 1 package yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons), dissolved in 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg Powder combine with 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 small cartons of blueberries
- 6 basil leaves (sliced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Roll coating:
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart vegan cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 250. Combine the flour, salt, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Melt butter and almond milk in the microwave, add to the flour mixture.
- Combine the vegan egg and almond milk. The dough will eventually start to form. If too wet add more flour and if too dry and more almond milk until you achieve the right firmness. Roll out the dough for 7 minutes on a dry surface lightly coated in flour. Turn off the oven and place in a bowl covered with a wet towel or surround wrap to let rise for 1 hour or until its doubled in size.
- While the dough rises make the blueberry mixture. Throw everything into a dish and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen turn the oven back on and, roll out the dough onto a flat surface into the shape of a rectangle. Coat with vegan butter, then brown sugar, then the blueberry basil mixture. Slowly roll up from more narrow end, pinching the ends and ceiling the last bit of dough to the log that it will form.
- Take a piece of string around it and pull through to create more even edges. Place in a greased dish. Turn off the oven and place them back in covered with a sheet of aluminum foil for another 30 minutes or more to allow them to rise again.
- Make the icing by throwing everything into the dish and combining until smooth. Once the rolls have risen more, turn the oven back up to 375 and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Let them cool, coat with icing and garnish with basil!