Vegan Carrot Cake
Hello & Happy Easter Sunday!!
There are so many flavors that I personally love, but there is one that is my favorite, it’s classic Carrot Cake!
In addition to carrot cake below are my other personal faves:
- ALL things lemon or lime
- Anything mango
- Anything vanilla & cinnamon
- Raspberry all day every day
- Anything pistachio with almond extract
I think it stems from my affinity for all things cinnamon or pumpkin tasting like, but at any rate, it’s that classic dessert that everyone loves! (or well, the majority!) In all of my cooking and baking, I sadly never explored a carrot cake recipe until spring of 2017. I feel as though I do this with a lot of classic recipes. I don’t approach the favorites out of the sheer fear that it will fall short to the original recipe. However, like 99% of all vegan variations, the recipes come out healthier packing more nutrients and flavor, and are all around better!
For this cake I decided to increase the carrot content and throw in applesauce and raisins to reduce the added sugar.
What I love about this cake is, everything! It packs more carrots and less added sugar, is easy, moist, holds together, contains less oil, is non vegan approved, and if you love carrot cake like I do, it’s perfect for any season!
If you’re looking to recreate this classic cake vegan style, you have to try my recipe for vegan Carrot Cake!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Icing that isn’t runny! (a lot of times cream cheese will do that!)
Great for any time of the year!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-10 slices
25 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves (optional)
- 4tbs vegan egg powder combine with 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup oil (I use coconut)
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup toasted pecans, divided
- 2 tbsp vegan Follow Your Heart cream cheese
- 4.5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) powdered sugar
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F grease a casserole dish, (you can line w/parchment paper for easier removal)
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove and toasted pecans.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vegan eggs, maple syrup, apple sauce, oil, vanilla, golden raisins, orange zest, and carrots, mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes in the dish, and then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Frost when completely cooled.
- For the frosting, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla, adding the vegan cream cheese last. Add powdered sugar a little at a time (1 cup max) and add more powdered sugar to achieve the desired consistency. Spread evenly over the top of the cake and top with toasted pecans.