Vegan Carrot Cake
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If I had to say what my favorite cake in the entire world is..
it’s classic Carrot Cake!
I think it stems from my affinity for all things cinnamon or pumpkin tasting like, but at any rate, it’s that classic dessert that everyone loves!
In all of my cooking and baking, I sadly never explored a carrot cake. I feel like I do this with a lot of classic recipes I love out of fear that it just won’t be as good. However, like 99% of all vegan variations, the recipes come out healthier packing more nutrient and flavor.
For this cake I decided to increase the content of carrots, reduce the sugar and add raisins along with reducing the oil.
What I love about this cake is, everything! It packs more carrots and less sugar than other recipes, raisins, pecans, and that classic cinnamon flavor with rich cream cheese!
If you’re looking to recreate this classic cake, you have to try my recipe for vegan Carrot Cake!!
Don’t believe how easy it is?! Watch this clip!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Icing that isn’t runny! (a lot of times cream cheese will do that!)
Great for any time of the year!
Yields 10-12 slices
25 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups coarsely grated carrot
- 1/2-3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg (combine with 1/2 cup almond milk)
- 3/4 cup avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbs Follow Your Heart vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 sticks of vegan butter, room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 9" cake pans. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with paddle or whisk attachment, beat both sugars with vegan eggs on medium high until combined, 45 sec. Reduce to medium speed and add oil gradually along with the vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir them together using a spatula until combined. Stir in the carrots and raisins. Pour into the 2 9" cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract together until they are fully incorporated. Add the powdered sugar gradually and mix until it is smooth and creamy. When frosting the cake, sprinkle the chopped nuts onto the frosting between the layers