Cranberry Orange Doughnuts
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
There are some things that just blend seamlessly together. The more I explore recipes, the more I become completely enamored with..
Cranberry and orange.
Although this recipe doesn’t call for fresh whole cranberries, there is something truly beautiful about this fruit! In all honesty, my experience with cranberries is very limited..
That could be in part due to the fact that cranberries are more associated with the holidays, and that we simply forget about this wonderful fruit.
Orrrrrr, if you’re like me and came from a home that always used canned cranberry sauce you could still be suffering from PTSD and haven’t looked at a cranberry since lol (canned jelly was and will forever remain just odd to me)
Fast forward to today though, I love cranberries and plan to explore more ways to enjoy them in every way shape and form.
True story: I got the opportunity to stand in a cranberry bog in the middle of Rockerfellar Center the other month. Let’s just say, ..it was one of the more interesting experiences of my life lol.
If you’re looking for that effortless vegan doughnut recipe that offers a light fruit forward flavor that’s perf for entertaining guests this holiday..
You have to try these Orange Cranberry Doughnuts!
Why this recipe rocks:
- Great for entertaining
- Light and fruity
- Great all year round!
- Great with breakfast lol.. (promise)
- 1/2 cup milk substitute - cool/room temp
- 1 1/2 cup Flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar Sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil soft
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Follow Your Heart Egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease donut pan with coconut oil.
- In small bowl, whisk together water and Follow Your heart egg, set aside. Make sure to combine well removing any clumps and use cold water. Combine "milk" with apple cider vinegar and whisk together till it curdles, then add the extract, and sugar and set aside. Set aside. In another small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In large bowl or stand mixer, add the dry ingredeitns then add the wet ingredients and combine, then add the orange juice and orange zest, and the vegan egg, and continue to mix.Beat for 30 seconds and scrape down side of bowl as needed.
- Once combined add in dried cranberries at the very end and beat until distributed evenly.
- Transfer batter into the greased pan, carefully fill each donut indentation 3/4 full. Bake 7-9 minutes for mini-donuts or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Bake 15-20mins minutes for standard donuts). Remove from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Place wax paper under wire rack to collect drippings for an easy cleanup. Then in a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and orange juic until smooth. Dip the top of each donut into the icing and transfer to wire rack and lightly top with lemon zest.
- Let set for 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Each donut can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days - but they are best served fresh.