Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookie Skillet
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
As crazy as it sounds, I’m not a huge chocolate person. However, when you take chocolate and infuse it with other flavor profiles I’m all about it! I find that when you introduce more flavors with a chocolate focused dessert it breaks up the richness and isn’t as overwhelming to my tastebuds.
So this Dark Chocolate Cherry Skillet Cookie was obvi a no brainer!
What I love most about this recipe is that the skillet speeds up the cook time, gives the cookie a softer texture, and the cherry syrup in junction with the pistachios makes for the perf topping with vegan ice cream!
If you love all things chocolate or cherries or simply want to break into the world of skillet cookies..You need to try this recipe for a vegan Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookie Skillet with homemade syrup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Soft like buttah
Flavors blend seamlessly together
Made with cacao
Great for entertaining
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1/2 banana (mashed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup Lily' Sweets vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla ice cream
- Cherry syrup
- 2 cups cherries (seeds removed, sliced)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs arrowroot
- 2 tbsp sugar
- topping: 1/2 pistachios (crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rub coconut oil or butter on a 9-inch cast iron skillet, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, cacao, baking soda, baking powder,and salt until combined. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut sugar, butter, 1/2 banana, together on medium-high speed. Add in the vanilla and cherry extract. Slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, beating on medium speed until just combined. Using a spatula, fold in the vegan chocolate chips and dried cherries until evenly combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared skillet, making sure it’s evenly spread out. Bake for 15-16 minutes. The cookie may look a bit undercooked, but this is what you want (it’ll settle more as it cools down). Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Top with vegan vanilla ice cream, cherry drizzle and pistachios!
- Cherry syrup
- Add the cherries to a pan over medium heat, cook for 7-10 mins. Cherries should soften and juice will collect. Remove from heat and place in a cheese cloth or nutmilk mesh bag and drain the liquid from the cherries. Place back onto the pan and add the rest of the ingredients. Add the arrowroot a little at a time or you can combine it with the lemon juice and add to the mixture. Whisk to combine and cook for and additional 5mins until it thickens.
- Plat your pancakes, top with crushed pistachios and the cherry syrup!