Vegan Dark Chocolate Orange Sugar Cookies
Hello & Happy Monday!!
If there are two flavors I’ve never been crazy for, its chocolate and orange. yes I like chocolate, but its never something I crave. Orange on the other hand was just not a flavor profile I ever really was impressed by.
Orange was always the last flavor in the popsicle box and all the typical orange and chocolate concepts I’ve encountered al just weren’t my cup of tea..
What I love about these cookies is that the base is a fluffy sugar cookie versus a dark chocolate cookie, leaving a lightness to the flavor, are packed with lots of orange, easy, involve minimal affordable ingredients, have great aesthetic appeal, are great for every season and perfect for holidays!
The funny story behind these cookies is that I had thrown them together while literally packing my bags for the holidays to leave within 30 mins. That should speak volumes as to the simplicity of this recipe and just how fast they can be thrown together. However, as fast as they were thrown together I completely forgot them along with other cookies I made to bring home for the holidays. The moral of the story is, don’t forget your cookies! lol
If you crave the perf light and fluffy sugar cookie with dark chocolate and a citrus flavor profile.. You’ll love this classic cookie combo, vegan Dark Chocolate Orange Sugar Cookies!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf all year round
Light and fluffy cookies
Eat Drink Shrink
25 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup almond milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup Lily's vegan chocolate chips
- Topping: orange zest as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Add the orange juice to the almond milk. The in a bowl of standing mixer, beat together powdered sugar, melted coconut oil, orange zest, and orange extract. Add the almond milk & orange juice combo and beat until creamy. Add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined. Dough will thicken as you stir.
- Roll 2-tablespoon size scoops of dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with fingers to 1/2-inch thick. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Do not over bake, as cookies won't turn golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- When cookies have completely cooled, prepare the chocolate.
- In a medium size pan melt the chips with a little bit of almond milk on low. Continue to mix chocolate so the chips melt evenly. Dip cooled cookies in the melted chocolate. Top with additional orange zest while still wet. Store in airtight container.