Vegan Pumpkin Super Food Bars
Your body requires a moderate supply of cholesterol to produce hormones, vitamin D, and substances that help you digest foods. However, your body actually produces all the cholesterol it needs in the liver. Thus too much cholesterol absorbed in the diet can have negative effects on the body.
We consume different types of fats that raise or lower circulating levels of good and bad cholesterol. A large consumption of processed foods high in fat can lead to the formation of plaques, which blocking blood flow to the heart via the arteries and can lead to atherosclerosis.
- 1 cup pumpkin seed
- 1 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup puffed rice cereal**
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, puffed rice cereal, pecans, pumpkin seeds, hemps seeds, chia seeds, and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Stir brown rice syrup and pumpkin puree together in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Then let the sauce boil for 4-5 minutes, or until it reaches about 260 degrees, stirring occasionally. (The sauce will bubble up quite a bit, so keep an eye on it.) Once it’s ready, removed from heat and add the vanilla. , pour it evenly over the nut mixture and immediately stir the mixture until it is evenly coated with the sauce. It hardens quickly, so move fast!
- Quickly transfer the mixture to the lined baking dish, and press it firmly into the dish in an even layer. You can use the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to press it down. Let the bars cool for 30 minutes or until they reach room temperature. (speed up this process a bit by placing them in the fridge.) Remove the bars for the paper and cut into desired size. Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat for 30 seconds, with stirring every 10 seconds until fully melted. Drizzle chocolate over bars. Store in air tight container in the fridge.
† These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.