Vegan lemon & Basil Blueberry Cake
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I don’t know about you, but I love working with bundt cake molds and pairing fruit with herbs! The molds create the perfect outer crust, a moist (I know many cringe at that word) cake, and the perfect shape. Fruit on the other hand is abundant in the summer and herbs create another flavor of dimension that just takes any recipe next level.
I personally love working with mint, basil, thyme, sage and rosemary!
Since summer is in full swing and blueberries are everywhere, I was hoping to create the perfect cake featuring this fruit as well as basil, and this effortless vegan Lemon & Basil Blueberry Cake was born!
What I love about this cake is, everything. It has minimal ingredients, you could cut the sugar in the cake out if you wish to cut calories and have the sweetness derived from the fruit and icing, its gorgeous, has tons of moisture, looks fancy, is perf for summer, offers a hint of basil and lemon, is non vegan approved, and has gorgeous aesthetic appeal!
If you’re looking to explore the world of pairing fresh herbs with fruit or simply need that perf effortless fruit forward cake for the summer..
This vegan Lemon & Basil Blueberry Cake is it!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for summer
Pairs herbs with fruit
Non vegan approved
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Yields 8 to 10 servings
20 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup almond milk combine w/a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan eggs mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 basil leaves, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a bundt cake with coconut oil. Combine salt, flour, baking soda, baking powder in a large bowl. In the bowl of a standing mixer combine butter and sugar. Beat for 3 minutes on high. Add in the vegan egg, lemon juice, zest, vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing on low after each addition and breaking it up with the almond milk/lemon/"vegan buttermilk combo. Don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into prepared bundt cake mold in layers adding blueberries and basil. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the outside is golden brown and you insert a wooden toothpick and it comes out clean. However, don't over bake as the cake will continue to bake once removed from the oven and still in the pan. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool for 15 minutes on wire rack. Make sure cake has completely cooled before icing. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice, stir until smooth. Place short pieces of wax or parchment paper underneath the cake. Drizzle icing over cake in circle. Garnish with basil if desired. Remove the paper for a clean cake stand.
Wait to ice until ready to serve.