Lemon Blueberry Cake Trifle
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I don’t know about you, but when it comes to food I go through phases. Needless to say, with the warm weather upon us for some reason I started craving..
While this concept has been around for ages, I didn’t find as many recipes as I expected to. For many of you, you may be asking yourself..
What the heck is a trifle?!
It’s cake, and whatever else you want it to be!
Since I love to take a more creative approach to desserts and the majority dessert recipes are precise, trifles are one of my favorite concepts!
What I love about trifles is that first and foremost it can be whatever you want it to be, almost like a blank slate, the process is effortless, it’s a perf concept for leftover cake or simply cake that’s drying out, light, and aesthetically appealing!
What I love about this particular Lemon Blueberry Trifle is that it’s packed with all of my faves! Fresh cake, lemon coconut whip, blueberries, and lemon tofu pudding!! If you know anything about my preferences, I love all things lemon! So this recipe was a home run for me lol.
If you love effortless warm weather desserts that pack tons of flavor, texture, and aesthetic appeal.. You have to try my recipe for a vegan Lemon Blueberry Trifle!
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for summer
Can easily be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Yields 8 to 10 cups
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder (combined with 1/2 cup almond milk or lime juice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk and squeeze of lemon (combined)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (chilled in fridge overnight, solid portion only)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract (don't use juice as it will make the whip curdle)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cartons blueberries
- 1 package soft tofu (16oz)
- 1/2 squeeze lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, Line 2 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides. Beat the vegan butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vegan egg with lemon juice/almond milk, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute (add lemon zest if desired!). The texture of the batter will change and become thicker and may seem a little curdled.
- Combine the flour, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. Add about one-third of the flour mixture to the batter and beat on medium speed until incorporated. Add about half of the milk/lemon juice combo and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Continue alternating adding dry and wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, and beating until incorporated after each addition. There should be three total additions of dry ingredients and two total additions of milk. End with the dry ingredients. The batter will be thick and glossy.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and spread evenly. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Don’t be alarmed if the tops are a little browned, that is normal. Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to cooling racks and cool completely before adding to dish.
- To make the coconut whip add the ingredients to the bowl of a standing mixer. Sift in the powdered sugar for a smoother texture!
- To make the pudding, throw all the ingredient in the food processor, with sifting in the corn starch. Process until smooth.
- To assemble, layer the cake, blueberries, coconut whip into a trifle dish and top with lemon zest! Refrigerate until ready to serve.
if you want a smoother coconut whip texture I would skip the lemon juice and just opt for lemon extract as it can make the whip curdle!